Your emotional wellness is important to us. That's why confidential counseling is available free of charge to all enrolled Knox students. This is an opportunity for you to talk with an objective professional about your feelings and concerns. No matter the area of concern, we are here to help.
Your right to privacy is fully protected, and counseling is strictly confidential as provided by law. If you want personal information supplied to a psychologist or Knox official, a release form must be signed. Counseling records are not a part of your academic or medical records.
See information about our services below, and check out our other resources on the sidebar.
Furrow Hall, 175 West Knox Street
Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Facebook and SoundCloud
- Individual Counseling: We offer short term individual counseling. The counselor and student will work together to determine the best method of care for the student's concerns.
- Group Counseling: Every term we offer a variety of group options for our students. This is a way for students to grow with fellow students who have similar experiences. Full group counseling information can be viewed on the Group Sessions link.
- Crisis Counseling: There are times when a student is in crisis and needs immediate assistance. Students are encouraged to come to Counseling Services in these times. See Crisis Sessions for more information.
- Outreach: Our staff is available to provide outreach programs on a wide variety of topics to the Knox community. See our Upcoming Events page for more info. To request an outreach event, please complete the online Outreach Request Form or print a hard copy if you prefer. Please submit requests a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the event date.
- Consultations: We are available to faculty, staff, and students for consultations regarding how to best assist a student. On or off campus referrals are also available.
- Advocacy Session: We offer students who have questions regarding the Title IX process or are a survivor of sexual assault, the opportunity to speak to a trained sexual assault advocate, in a confidential setting.
- Self-Guided Therapy: Light Therapy, pet therapy and emWave Pro are available for students to use outside of counseling sessions. Please see our Self-Guided Therapy page for more information.
- Janell McGruder, Director of Counseling Services, Sexual Assault Advocate
- Megan Downs, Assistant Director of Counseling Services, Licensed Professional Counselor
- Emily Trulson, Counselor, Licensed Professional Counselor, National Certified Counselor, ISSA Certified Personal Trainer and Sports Nutrition Specialist
- Vicki Swedlund, Administrative Assistant
- Claire Palmer, Intake Coordinator
How to Schedule an Appointment
Scheduling an appointment is easy! All you have to do is reach out.
- Call 309.341.7492
- E-mail email@example.com
- Visit our office at 175 W. Knox Street (south/backside of Furrow Hall across from the soccer field), Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m to 4:30 p.m.
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, come to Counseling Services during business hours. After business hours call Campus Safety (309.341.7979) or call 9-1-1. Click Crisis Sessions for more information.