Skip to main content
Knox Together: COVID-19 Plans & Policies Visitor Policy Give Now
A student balances on a wall during orientation.

Transfer Students


Division of Student Development

2 East South Street

Galesburg, IL 61401-4999


Fax: 309-341-7077


The Knox Shop
Students display their countries flags at the annual International Fair in Ford Center for the Fine Arts.

Transfer students play an integral role in the life of Knox College. Your experiences at other institutions contribute to the vitality and diversity of our student body both inside and outside of the classroom.

While much of your preparation for life at Knox as a transfer student will be the same as for incoming first-year students, there are some differences. Here are answers to some of the frequently asked questions we receive from transfer students.

Financial Aid & Scholarships

Does my financial aid transfer?
Financial aid does not transfer from school to school. Your financial aid will be recalculated for Knox. Contact the Office of Student Financial Services with questions.

Are scholarships available to transfer students?
Yes! Students who transfer to Knox may be eligible for renewable scholarships up to $34,000 per year. Scholarships are available to students from two- and four-year colleges, and universities and are awarded based on the level of academic achievement in liberal arts courses. Learn more about transfer student scholarships.


How do credits transfer? 
At Knox, courses are generally worth one credit, and you’ll need 36 credits to graduate. Credits typically transfer at .3 credits per semester hour and .2 credits per quarter-hour. The maximum number of transfer credits we'll accept from a community college is 18; from other institutions, no more than 19 credits overall may be accepted. Learn more about our transfer policies and materials we need to determine transferable coursework

Will my GPA transfer? 
Your credits will be transferred, but not your GPA. 

Do I need to take placement exams?
Yes. We offer placement exams in math, second languages, and music. These short online exams help us ensure that you're enrolled at the level appropriate for your skills. Learn more about placement exams

How does the term system compare to the semester system? 
Instead of two 16-week semesters, Knox has three 10-week terms. During each term, you will typically take three classes.

Do I have to take a First-Year Preceptorial? 
That depends. You will need to take First-Year Preceptorial if you have less than one year of college credit.

How do I register for classes?
Your academic advisor will contact you in mid-July to set up a time to choose your courses for fall term and review your transfer credits. If you have questions about academics before your meeting in July, you can contact


Can transfer students live on campus? 
Yes! As a four-year residential college, more than 95% of Knox students live on campus. There are some situations where students need to pursue off-campus permissions. Off-campus housing permissions are granted through the Campus Life Office to those students who: 

  • Are married or in a legally recognized civil union or domestic partnership
  • Have dependent children
  • Require, by reason of disability or medical necessity, a housing option that cannot be provided by Knox College, this requires consultation with the Office of Disability Support Services. 

Will my roommate be a transfer student?
We work closely with students after they submit their new student housing preference form to place them with a roommate who best matches their preferences. We’ve paired transfer students together as roommates and have created transfer-student suite living arrangements as well.


Do I need to participate in orientation?
Orientation is a time for you to learn more about your new academic home and get organized to begin your studies at Knox. Orientation is mandatory for both new and transfer students and we will have some specific programs designed to help introduce you to the College and answer questions you might have about your time here.

Still, have questions? Contact

Read Related News

Teammates at a Knox Soccer Game
Request More Info Apply for Admission Visit Knox



where Knox students will study this year.

Knox College

Printed on Thursday, September 16, 2021