Attending counseling is an important investment in your mental health. Here are some tips that will help you be successful and get the most out of therapy:
- Be proactive about contacting Counseling Services as soon as your concerns begin. It is better to address the area of concern quickly than to wait for it to become an emergency situation.
- Attend all of your scheduled counseling sessions. If you need to cancel or reschedule, please contact Counseling Services 24 hours in advance, if possible. If not, still give us a call (309.341.7492). This may allow another student to make use of that appointment time.
- Be honest and open regarding your thoughts and feelings during counseling. The counselor is there to help you through whatever your concerns may be. We provide you with tools and resources geared toward the development of wellness patterns. Being honest and open helps us help you.
- Continue your progress outside of sessions. A counseling session can be very therapeutic, but real change depends on your continued work in between sessions. It is important to keep up with any plans or homework that you and your counselor have agreed upon.
- Give your counselor feedback regarding how you feel the sessions are going. By telling your counselor what is working or not working for you, they will be able to help you adjust to better meet your goals.
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, come to Counseling Services during business hours. After business hours call Campus Safety (309.341.7979) or call 9-1-1. Click Crisis Sessions for more information.