The Knox Student Claims Another Associated Collegiate Press Award
by Tyler Price '19
The Knox Student is continuing its annual streak of earning national journalism awards.
The student-run school newspaper earned the Associated Collegiate Press award for second place in the Sports Story category, receiving the award for an article penned by senior Jonathan Schrag. Schrag’s story beat out submissions from schools across the country and of all sizes, including the University of Southern California and the University of Pittsburgh. First place in the category went to a story published by the University of Iowa’s The Daily Iowan.
“These awards put TKS alongside the best college newspapers in the nation," said TKS advisor Tom Martin, who also is editor of The (Galesburg) Register-Mail. "The students running TKS continue to build on their successes.”
Editor-in-Chief Erika Riley, Schrag, and staff writers Allie Glinski, Sam Jacobson, Zarah Khan, Eden Sarkisian, and Julia Volpe traveled to the Associated Collegiate Press convention, held in Louisville, Kentucky, October 25-27.
The Knox Student has earned a national award in each of the past seven years, last year winning a Pacemaker—college journalism’s preeminent award—for the first time in the College’s history.
The Knox Student: Award History
- 2018: Associated College Press Second Place, Sports Story - Jonathan Schrag '19
- 2017: Associated College Press Pacemaker Award
- 2016: Associated College Press News Story of the Year Nomination
- 2015: Associated College Press Honorable Mention, Feature Story - Kate Mishkin '16
- 2014: Associated College Press Pacemaker Finalist Award
- 2014: Society of Professional Journalism, Best All-Around Non Daily Student Newspaper, in Region 5 (Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky)
- 2013: Associated College Press Fourth Place, News Story of the Year
- 2012: Associated College Press Seventh Place, Best of Show (4-year colleges on tabloid paper)
STATE AWARDS (Illinois Collegiate Press Association/entries from previous calendar year)
- 2018: 19 awards (6 firsts, first place General Excellence) Editors-in-chief: Jonathan Schrag '19, Lillie Chamberlain '19, Erika Riley '19
- 2017: 20 awards (7 firsts, first place General Excellence) Editor-in-chief: Rachel Landman '17
- 2016: 19 awards (10 firsts) Editor-in-chief: Kate Mishkin '16
- 2015: 12 awards (4 firsts) Editor-in-chief: Julian Boireau '15
- 2014: 18 awards (5 firsts, second in General Excellence) Editor-in-chief: Charlie Megenity '14
- 2013: 14 awards (5 firsts, including General Excellence) Editor-in-chief: Anna Meier '13
- 2012: 18 awards (4 firsts) Editor-in-chief: John Williams '12
- 2011: 19 awards (7 firsts; second place General Excellence) Editor-in-chief: Annette Zak '11
Published on November 19, 2018