Knox is on the road at Colleges that Change Lives fairs this month and next in a dozen states. If someone you...
Office of Communications
2 East South Street
Galesburg, IL 61401-4999
Views of the Knox College campus for the news media and publications
Permission is granted to media, publications and researchers for non-commercial use. All photos copyright Knox College, and all other rights reserved. Downloads are 300K and larger.
Additional images are available on request by calling 309-341-7337, or e-mail email@example.com.
George Davis Hall
Classrooms and offices in economics, business, political science, international relations, anthropology, sociology, classics and modern languages. Technology resources include the Dorothy Johnson '39 and Richard Burkhardt '39 Language Center.
A National Historic Landmark and the sole remaining original building from the Lincoln-Douglas Debates, Old Main is one of the most important pre-Civil War buildings in Illinois. Renovated several times since it was built in 1857, Old Main was also the subject of a book that explored the mysteries of its design and construction.
Looking for Lincoln
A wayside marker at 350 S. Cherry St., overlooks the Lincoln-Douglas Debate site at Old Main. Featuring a map of the Knox campus as it looked in 1858, rubbing medallions and details of the Lincoln-Douglas debate, the marker at Old Main is one of a series of Looking for Lincoln markers at historic sites throughout Illinois.
Lincoln-Douglas Debate Site at Old Main
Bronze tablets by sculptor Avard Fairbanks of Abraham Lincoln (left) and Stephen Douglas flank the east door of Old Main, where Lincoln and Douglas debated in 1858.
On the day of the debate at Knox - October 7, 1858 - the speakers' platform blocked the east doors of the building. Douglas mounted the platform from the side, while Lincoln climbed through the window to the side of the east entry door and plaque, shown here. Inside Old Main, this room is now the Lincoln Office at Old Main, greeting visitors with memorabilia and a scale model of Lincoln's law office in Springfield.
The first floor and lower level, Seymour Union, include dining halls, offices for Sustainability, Student Activities, Residence Life, several student publications, a 24-hour computer lab and Taylor Student Lounge. The second and third floors, Seymour Hall, are student residences.
Umbeck Science-Mathematics Center
Classrooms,offices and laboratories for biology, biochemistry, chemistry, computer science, mathematics, neuroscience, physics, and psychology, as well as offices of the Registrar, Information Technology Services and other administrative functions.
Ford Center for the Fine Arts
Built in 1964, it houses departments of art, music, theatre, and dance, as well as offices of admission and financial aid.
Renowned as one of the most beautiful small college libraries, it contains 250,000 bound volumes and 700 periodicals, Special Collections and Archives with notable holdings in Midwestern history, plus Internet access to other academic, research and public libraries.
of students pursue experiential learning