Sigma Nu, the honor fraternity, was founded in 1869 at the Virginia Military Institute. For more than 110 years, the Delta Theta chapter at Knox has been a prominent leader in academics, sports and community service.
Today, Sigma Nu’s mission continues to develop ethical and honorable leaders of society through the development of the minds, hearts, and characters of its members.
Notable Sigma Nus
- Bob Barker, past host of The Price is Right
- Williams Daniels, actor
- Harrison Ford, actor
- Gerry L. Alexander, current Chief Justice of Washington State Supreme Court
- Paul Tibbets, pilot of the Enola Gay
There is no stereotypical Sigma Nu. In past years, one quarter of the fraternity’s members were international students, and members represented nine countries. Brothers of Sigma Nu follow the first part of their organization's creed, "to believe in the life of love," and spread it to others.
Members can be seen around campus as members of the choir, cross country team, International Club, as part of a campaign to make Knox more democratic, and many other endeavors.
- Sigma Nu Dunk Tank, an annual event to raise money for Habitat for Humanity
- L.E.A.D. Program Events. The Leadership, Ethics, Achievement, Development Program is designed specifically for Sigma Nu with the aim of promoting personal growth. Sigma Nu also holds events throughout the year that are open to the entire campus. Examples include a Networking workshop, a Drug Abuse/Awareness workshop, and a Time Management workshop
- Flunk Day Survival Kits. During spring term Sigma Nu sells small bags containing everything you need for a fun, safe Flunk Day. All proceeds go to St. Jude's Children's Hospital