3 (of the Many!) Ways to Experience Your Education
1. Use Anthropology and Sociology to gain perspective.
All majors do a capstone research project, and many of minors also pursue research under the guidance of faculty members in the department. Outstanding students may elect to pursue College Honors, undertaking an advanced research project of their choosing and defending their findings to a faculty committee and an expert in the field. Here are a few recent projects:
- "Is it Okay to Laugh? A Look at Humor and Social Taboo among College Students," Michelle Secunda '16.
- "The 'Coddled' Generation: Millennials on Trigger, Justice, and the Value of Intellectual Challenge," Kiannah Sepeda-Miller '16.
- "Adaptation and Negotiation: An Ethnographic Account of Chinese ESL Students' Academic Writing Experiences at Knox College," Yun Ramona Lin '15.
- "Pink Matter: Non-Cis Identities and Perceptions at Knox College," Brittany Meeker '15.
- "Dance Like a Man: Gender, Sexuality, and Male Identity," Juan Irizarry '15.
- "Unintended Audiences: Women and Queer People Navigating a Heteronormative Porn Culture," Elizabeth Therese Lerum '14.
- "Love the Game, Hate the Gamer: Perceptions of Hostility in League of Thrones," Michael Moroney '14.
- "Sound Intentions: The Musical Qualities of Infant-Directed Speech," Megan Elizabeth Beney '13.
- "#Solidarity: Youth Participation in Social Movements," Eva Marley '13.
2. Study off campus.
There are many opportunities to study anthropology and sociology outside of Knox:
3. Engage your learning by participating in an internship.
There's no better way to explore the possibilities of life after Knox than internships. Here are a few of our students' recent internships (many found with the assistance from the Bastian Family Career Center):
- KnoxCorps Associate, FISH Food Pantry, Galesburg, IL, Almira Karajic '17.
- Summer Intern, Parmarth Niketan Ashram, Risikesh, India, Raeann Boero '17.
- Undergraduate Research Assistant, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, Emma Thornton-Kolbe '17.
- Literary Intern, Manhattan Theater Club, New York, NY, Michelle Secunda '16.
- Print Editorial Intern, New York Magazine, New York, NY, Kiannah Sepeda-Miller '16.