Students sitting at a table under a flowering tree on a spring day. #

Offices & Services > Division of Student Development > Campus Life Office > Room Selection

Housing Options

Apply to Knox Now
Students gather under a yellow umbrella on the Gizmo Patio.

Knox College offers its students a multitude of residence hall options. Historic houses, apartments, suite-style residence halls and traditional residence halls make up one of the most diverse selections of any college. Listed below is each option, a description of the selection process that applies to it, and some information about what each residence offers.

Residential Cultural Houses

  • International House-  contact Rebecca Eckart, Assistant Director of International Student Services.
  • Casa Latina- contact Tianna Cervantez, Director, Center for Intercultural Life
  • ABLE House- contact Tianna Cervantez, Director, Center for Intercultural Life.
  • Asian Cultural House-  contact Tianna Cervantez, Director, Center for Intercultural Life.
  • Harambee House- contact Tianna Cervantez, Director, Center for Interculturl Life.
  • Queer and Ally (Q&A) House- contact Tianna Cervantez, Director, Center for Intercultural Life.  

Medical Singles

These rooms are for students with medical situations that require single room occupancy. Documentation from a doctor or other health care professional is required and must be provided to the Disability Support Services and the Campus Life Office for verification. This documentation must be provided by April 7, to be accommodated through the room selection process. 

Fraternity Houses

Students wishing to live in housing provided by their Greek organization will conduct their own housing lottery. Once you have committed to live in a fraternity house, you will be ineligible to participate in the campus lottery process.


These rooms are available to the student body at large and are limited in quantity. They are located throughout campus. Singles are not available in the general selection, so if you do not receive one, you should look for a roommate. 

Block Housing

Block Housing is an option available for a group of students who wish to live together in one residential area. Block Housing is available in the following residences:

    • Drew Hall
    • Griffith Hall
    • Longden Hall
    • Post Hall
    • Simonds Hall
    • Townhouses (251 S. West)
    • Williston Hall
    • 516 S. West (all female)

Priority will be determined by averaging each group's lottery numbers. The group with the lowest average will be offered block housing first, followed by the group with the second-lowest average and so on. 

NOTE: Drew Hall, Griffith Hall, Simonds Hall, and Longden Hall have only one bathroom, so residents must make arrangements to share these facilities.

Descriptions of the available residences are also available.


For many students, the chance to live in one of Knox's three apartment buildings is a very important aspect of their junior or senior year. Students choosing to live in the apartments must remain on the board plan.

Apartment applications are available in the Campus Life Office. Knox College apartments are available at:

    • 284 West Tompkins: three or five residents
    • 240 West Tompkins: two or four residents
    • Hamblin Hall: two, three, four, or five residents

Apartments Offered

284 W. Tompkins

    • One bedroom plus sunroom (3 person) - 6 apartments
    • Two bedrooms plus sunroom (5 Person) - 5 apartments

Hamblin Hall

    • One bedroom (2 or 3 person) - 15 apartments
    • Two bedrooms (4 or 5 Person) - 17 apartments

240 W. Tompkins

    • One bedroom (2 Person) - 7 apartments
    • Two bedrooms (4 person) - 7 apartments

Apartments carry an additional cost. A complete schedule of all college costs will be posted for students later in Spring Term. Students may add an additional resident to their apartment to pay the residence hall/house double room rate.

Also Available

Available Floor Plans

General Selection

If you have not received a housing assignment through one of the special options, you must select a room during General Selection.

During general selection, selection times are given based on your priority number.  Roommate pairs my use the best selection time to choose a room.  

Students are encouraged to have choices in mind, and backup options should their first choice be taken. Residence Halls available in General Selection are: Longden Hall, Simonds Hall, Griffith Hall, Drew Hall, Raub Hall, Sellew Hall, Post Hall, Williston Hall, and Townhouses. Availability is based on what is selected during block housing.  More information on these halls is available.

Off-Campus Living

For the 2017-2018 academic year, a special lottery was conducted during winter term to grant a small number of juniors and seniors off-campus status. This was done to accommodate our incoming student enrollment at Knox College.

General policies about off-campus living
To qualify for off-campus residence, you must: be 23 years or older by the approximate time Fall Term begins, complete four years of residency at Knox, guardian of a minor child, be married or in a documented domestic partnership. It is unlikely that requests for off-campus permission will be granted for other than the reasons above.

To inquire about off-campus permission, please visit the Campus Life Office. Students who go through Housing Selection and then seek off campus permission may be denied.

If you currently do not live on campus, you will not be assigned a priority number. If you wish to return to campus, please contact the Campus Life Office and you will be added at the bottom of your lottery category.

Further information regarding off-campus permission can be found in the Student Handbook.

Request Information

Knox College

Printed on Sunday, January 21, 2018

Back to