Facilities Services staff plant roses outside Memorial Gymnasium. #

Offices & Services > Division of Student Development > Campus Life Office > Residential Learning

Commuting and Off-Campus Permission


Craig Southern

Associate Dean of Students Campus Life & Director of Residential Learning

2 East South Street

Box K-236

Galesburg, IL 61401-4999



Apply to Knox Now
A handicap parking space on Cherry Street outside of George Davis Hall.

Commuter Status
Commuter status is granted to students who live with their parents, guardians, or immediate family members within a 50-mile radius of Galesburg.

Students given commuter status are automatically granted off-board status, although they are eligible to purchase any of the meal plans currently available. Commuter status will affect financial aid. A commuter must notify the Campus Life Office and the Office of Financial Aid if his or her commuter status changes at any time.

Off-Campus Permission
In some circumstances, the College is unable to provide housing appropriate to the particular personal circumstances of certain students. In such cases, students may be granted off-campus status.

The Campus Life Office must receive applications before the deadline listed on the Lottery webpage. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application before Lottery begins. Once contracts are signed, they are in effect for the entire academic year. Cases in which students may be granted off-campus status include:

  • Individuals 23 years of age or older by the approximate time fall term begins
  • Students who have already completed four years of college work (12 terms or eight semesters) before an academic year begins
  • Married students
  • Domestic partners as defined by the College
  • Students with dependent minors
  • Students who are granted off-campus status during the Off-Campus Lottery, held during Winter Term. Students who are granted off-campus status via this option may move off-campus the following academic year.

If an application is approved, the student loses the option of choosing a room during lottery. Students must complete a meal plan contract if they wish to remain on board. Off-campus housing arrangements may affect financial aid. Students must notify the Office of Financial Aid if their housing status changes at any time. It is unlikely that any requests for reasons other than those listed above will be granted.

Request Information

Knox College

Printed on Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Back to