Skip to main content
Knox Together: COVID-19 Plans & Policies Visitor Policy Give Now
Knox College Campus in the Fall

Health Services FAQ


Division of Student Development

2 East South Street

Galesburg, IL 61401


Fax: 309-341-7077


Apply to Knox Now
Old Main seen through the leaves of a tree.

Where are health facilities located?

Health Services  (on campus)
Furrow Hall, 175 West Knox Street
(309) 341-7559
Office hours:
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Counseling Services (on campus)
Furrow Hall, 175 West Knox Street
(309) 341-7492
Office hours:
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

OSF St. Mary Medical Center  (off campus in Galesburg)
3333 N. Seminary St.
View map
View website
(309) 344-3161 

OSF PromptCare - Galesburg
3375 N. Seminary St., Galesburg, IL
M-Sa 8:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
Su 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.

How do I get health care when I need it?

  • To schedule an appointment in Health Services, please call (309)341-7559 or email Walk-ins are not accepted at this time. Please call ahead and we will be glad to care for you!
  • If you can not wait for health services to open you can visit the local Prompt Care. Please note that the Health Services fee does not cover after hours office visits. The cost incurred at Prompt Care is the student's responsibility.
  • If you require emergency medical care, call 9-1-1 or go to the emergency room.

Is there coverage during winter and spring break?

Health Services is open when the College is open, including spring break and winter break except between Christmas and New Year. A complete academic calendar may be viewed here.

Will Health Services provide an excuse for missing classes?

When a student is absent from a class for medical reasons, it is the student's responsibility to discuss this directly with the faculty member involved. If the student visits Health Services, a note can be given stating that the student was seen for illness or injury.

If a student is seen in Health Services and it is determined that the student should not be in class, and is expected to miss several days of class, a notice can, upon student request, be sent to the Associate Dean stating they are ill and are expected/instructed to miss class for multiple days or an extended period of time. Examples of illnesses requiring multiple days off include but are not limited to mononucleosis, pneumonia, concussion, influenza with fever, mumps, illness that requires additional testing that day, or admission to the hospital.  

What if I have questions about Health Services arrangements?

Contact the Executive Assistant in the Division of Student Development, Old Main 101, 309-341-7863, for questions concerning services covered by Health Services.

What if I require lab tests to be performed?

Health Services has the ability to conduct and analyze several lab tests on-site at no cost to the student. Additional testing can be ordered off site; those costs are the responsibility of the student.

What if I need a referral to a specialist?

The on-campus medical practitioner will be able to refer you to the appropriate specialist if further treatment is recommended.

What is the cost to visit Health Services?

There is no additional cost to see our health services staff for the following:

  • Acute medical problems including respiratory or other infections, flu-like symptoms, abdominal problems, or headaches;
  • Minor emergency treatment including burns, minor lacerations, sprains, or strains;
  • Reproductive care;
  • Some laboratory services including rapid strep throat, mononucleosis, urinalysis and urine pregnancy testing.

Are there Family Planning Services available?

Yes. Reproductive services are available through on-campus Health Services. Additionally, Knox College Health Services works closely with Family Planning Services of Western Illinois

Who should I contact if I have questions concerning a collegiate athletic injury and/or athletic insurance claim?

Knox College Athletic Training Room at ext. 7378.

Where is the Athletic Training Room located?

Basement of Memorial Gym, Room MG051.

Is there a charge for the services for a collegiate athletic injury treated in the Knox College Athletic Training Room?

No. Care (evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation) in the Athletic Training Room for collegiate athletic injuries is free of charge for all varsity athletes.

When can I have a varsity athletic related injury/illness evaluated and treated in the Knox College Athletic Training Room?

Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.

Quick Reference Telephone Numbers

  • Campus Safety: 309-341-7979
  • United American Cab Service: 309-341-6161
  • City Bus Inc.: 309-342-4242
  • Health Services: 309-341-7559
  • Counseling Services: 309-341-7492
  • Knox County Health Department: 309-344-2224
  • Family Planning of Western Illinois: 309-343-6162
  • OSF St. Mary Medical Center: 309-344-3161
  • Division of Student Development: 309-341-7863
  • Athletic Training Room: 309-341-7378
  • For all emergencies: 911
Knox College

Printed on Friday, June 24, 2022