Skip to main content

Because of the accelerating COVID-19 pandemic and ongoing stay-at-home order from the State of Illinois, Knox College has made the decision to teach the entirety of spring term remotely. More Information

George Davis Hall in the early evening.

Faculty & Staff Resources


Counseling Center

Furrow Hall

175 West Knox Street

Galesburg, IL 61401-4999



Submit Your Deposit
A view of campus from above.

What We Do

Counseling Services provides individual and group counseling, outreach services, and crisis intervention to students. We also provide consultation to faculty and staff regarding student concerns. All currently enrolled students are eligible for counseling, and all services are free, voluntary, and confidential.

Students may seek counseling for an array of concerns including depression, anxiety, eating disorders, substance abuse, roommate conflict, relationship concerns, college adjustment and other emotional issues.

The Role of Faculty and Staff

As faculty and staff, you are in an excellent position to recognize behavioral and emotional changes in the student. You may be addressing those concerns directly with students depending on your own personal and professional comfort level with those conversations. Becoming the main source of support for a student can be overwhelming, stressful, and tiring. It is important to recognize the limitations of your role in providing assistance to students and know when referral to Counseling Services is appropriate. 

How to Make the Referral

If a student approaches you with a problem, the following recommendations may help to make the referral process easier:

  • Listen in a non-judgmental and respectful manner. Repeat back to the student the essence of what he/she told you.
  • Express concern. Be specific about what you have observed and reasons for your concern.
  • Be direct in letting the student know that you believe a counselor would be of help in this situation.
  • Inform the student that services are strictly confidential and free of charge.
  • If the student is upset (crying, agitated etc.), give the student time to calm down enough to be able to converse with you before attempting to make the referral.
  • Give the student the Counseling Services phone number (309.341.7492). The student can call from your office or on their own. No appointments can be made for a student by a third party. The student must speak directly to the administrative assistant or counselor.

Crisis Situations

Seek help immediately if a student:

  • Expresses imminent suicidal thoughts and/or a plan
  • Expresses imminent homicidal thoughts
  • Loses emotional control severely
  • Shows gross impairment in thinking ability
  • Exhibits bizarre behavior
  • Has experienced recent domestic or sexual assault
  • Has experienced auditory/visual hallucinations and/or delusions

Crises during business hours (Monday - Friday 9:00am - 4:30pm): 

If you feel that the student is in crisis, you can have the student call Counseling Services from your office or simply walk over. Tell the student to communicate to the administrative assistant that this is an "emergency" or "crisis." If you believe it is necessary, you may walk the student to the office directly. Counseling Services staff will be available on the same day to see a student in an urgent or life threatening situation.

Crises after business hours:

Call Campus Safety at 309.341.7979 who can connect you with the on-call Student Development Staff. If a student would like to speak to a skilled, trained counselor at a 24 hour crisis center, have them call 1.800.273.8255. If there is any immediate danger to self or others, call 9-1-1.

When to Consult with Counseling Services Staff

  • If the student is hesitant to make an appointment or you are not comfortable making a referral.
  • To share your concerns about a student.
  • To discuss how to approach a student of concern.

Comments on Confidentiality

The counselors at Counseling Services are under ethical and legal obligations not to release confidential information. We are not permitted to disclose if a student is receiving counseling services. Only with written permission by the student can a counselor disclose information to others (except in cases of danger to self or others).

If a student tells us that you referred him/her and gives written permission, a counselor will notify you that the student did attend the initial appointment. If you would like additional feedback regarding progress, you may call the counselor and the counselor will ask the referred student directly for permission to contact you. If you would like more information about the students contact with Counseling Services, we encourage you to directly ask the student.

Title IX

We are not mandated reporters. If a student would like to discuss Title IX related topics, they are welcome to come to Counseling Services. We have advocacy sessions available with the sexual assault advocate, Janell McGruder. If a student would like to set up an appointment, just have them call 309.341.7492 and request an advocacy session. For more information on title IX at Knox, click here.

Knox College

Printed on Wednesday, April 8, 2020