Looking for a new job? Have a position to fill? Handshake is an online job search platform now available to Knox alumni through the Bastian Family Center for Career Success.
Like LinkedIn and other job platforms, you can search and apply for jobs using Handshake. Currently, more than 480,000 employers use Handshake to fill their positions. But what you won't find on other platforms are jobs being posted uniquely to the Knox Handshake community, giving preference to Knox students and alumni over other applicants. "We currently have more than 1,600 positions that have been posted by employers who are looking specifically for Knox talent," said Scott Crawford, executive director of the center.
Lindsay Symmonds Currie '98 is an author of middle grade fiction. She was looking for someone to help her market her upcoming book. Using Handshake, she found Shruti Mungi '19, a creative writing major working in communications and marketing. "The way Handshake can refer alumni back to the community, I think that's unique," said Mungi. "It's very relevant to the Knox community.”
While Handshake was originally created as a tool for colleges to help students find internships and their first jobs out of college, Crawford says the reach is much broader than that, with many of the positions requiring a higher level of job experience. "We just approved a postdoctoral position today," he said.
Crawford says employers range from Fortune 5OO companies to local nonprofits. "We have jobs in healthcare, business, education, technology, higher education, manufacturing—it's all there in Handshake."
In addition to job openings, Handshake includes job and internship reviews for companies. "There's also the option to search for a job publicly or privately if you don't want your employer to see that you're looking at other opportunities," says Crawford.
Knox community Handshake users also have exclusive access to other resources:
- Focus 2 (funded by Nancy Carlin '72), uses an intuitive career and education decision making model to help you explore occupations and make informed career decisions.
- Big Interview (funded by Helen Lin '94) is a virtual practice interview tool where you can choose the type of interview, difficulty level, and record and share your interview.
- Vault is a research and exploration tool focused on making sure job applicants know as much as they can about a workplace before and during the application process.
Join Handshake Today in Three Easy Steps
- Go to app.joinhandshake.com
- Click on "No account? Sign up here." in the upper right corner.
- Select Knox from the schools option and answer a few questions.
Once you complete the questions, Knox will confirm that you're an alumnus and you can begin posting and looking for jobs.