SASS meets every Thursday at 5:30 PM in the Human Rights Center. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend.
Students Against Sexism in Society (SASS) is a Human Rights Center Organization dedicated to both nuanced discourse and meaningful activism. SASS aims to cultivate a community for social justice activists to confront oppressive structures on our campus, in our communities, and globally. SASS brings speakers, lecturers and performers, who celebrate feminist scholarship and activism, to Knox. Open forums, awareness campaigns, art statements, marches, and conversations are all included in SASS' efforts. SASS welcomes everyone to meetings in the hope of varied, ongoing and lively dialogue, and increased understanding of what it means to be "against sexism."
This group wants not only to sponsor events for the school, but to create an open dialogue between all genders to discuss issues that affect them.
- Starting Fall 2018, SASS will have two anonymous forms where you can request pads, tampons, diva cups, pregnancy tests, and/or plan B to be delivered to your K-Box.
Fall Term 2018 Meeting Discussions Schedule
- Week 1: September 13th - Intersectionality
- Week 2: September 20th - #MeToo Movement
- Week 3: September 27th - Sex Workers Rights
- Week 4: October 4th - Problematic TV Shows
- Week 5: October 11th - Sex Positivity = Parenting & Sex Ed
- Week 6: October 18th - Abortion Rights
- Week 7: October 25th - Halloween & Cultural Appropriation, Over Sexualizing Women, etc.
- Week 8: November 1st - Discrimination in the Workplace
- Week 9: November 8th - The History of White Feminism
- Week 10: November 15th - Feminism on Knox College Campus
- Take Back the Night is a rally where students walk through the campus and around Galesburg as an effort to raise awareness of sexual assault through chants and empowering signs. This event includes resources from the counseling services, live entertainment, and special guests who speak about the cause.
- Bodies Week is a week where SASS helps spread body confidence and positivity throughout the student body on campus. It is important to remind everyone that beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, colors, and ways. During the week we have workshops that involve making homemade body butter, watching feminist films, and holding dialogues on specific topics. Our most popular event is the Bodies Week Gallery. In the beginning of the term SASS sets up photo shoots between photographers and models (all Knox students) that focuses on loving oneself. All of the pictures are showcased in the Taylor Student Lounge. Bodies Week has also featured poetry slams, guest speakers, and yoga.
- Women's Wellness Month
- Make your own sex toy parties & sex toy education
- Performances of The Vagina Monologues
Some Past Speakers
- Alix Olson: A Radical Feminist Spoken-Word Poet
- Larry Kirkwood: A Body Cast Artist
- Lori Rodrigues: Global Communications Director at Equality for HER
- Hope Pendleton: Coordinator of Volunteer and Training Services at Safe Harbor
2018-2019 Executive Board