Knox students, staff, and faculty are welcome to help volunteer at The Knox Farm from 4 to 6 p.m. every Monda...
Explore other majors & minors
Associate Professor of Modern Languages (Spanish)
2 East South Street
Galesburg, IL 61401-4999
1. Study at some of the most historic learning centers in Europe. Students in the Barcelona program study in the downtown campus of the University of Barcelona, founded in 1450. Educational excursions take students to sites such as the monastery Sant Pere de Rodes in the Verdera mountains, a mountain bike ride through the Pyrenees, and even a soccer match in the Espanyol stadium.
2. Learn about your field and give your language skills a boost at the same time. At Knox, we believe that the best way to learn is through direct experience. For a fully immersive academic experience, all classes are taught by University of Barcelona professors. Courses are small, personal, and designed for students learning the Spanish language.
3. Barcelona is your classroom. Even when you are not studying in the University, Barcelona offers a plethora of learning opportunities. Barcelona is the urban center of Catalan culture in Spain, and you will hear both Catalan and Spanish in the city. Learn directly from Catalans about their perceptions of the pros and cons concerning the independence of Catalonia, watch grassroots democracy movements unfold, and see how immigration has shaped Catalan identity.
4. Use Barcelona as a launch pad to the rest of the region. Locally, you can soak up the sun at the city beaches or hike in the nearby Collserola mountain range. But if you want to explore more of Europe and North Africa, Barcelona is only a two hour flight away from Paris, London, Rome, Lisbon, and Morocco.
5. We have the right people in the right places. The Knox Barcelona program has many human resources available to help guide you while living in Spain. You will live with an experienced host family that provides a unique linguistic and cultural bridge between Spain and wherever you call home. Academically, you will have support from the program's Resident Director and the professors at the University of Barcelona.
Students in the program can choose from a number of different program options, which offer flexibility in both length of stay and course of study. At the Universitat de Barcelona, you'll have the option to take university courses with native Spanish speakers or Knox program courses taught in Spanish by Universitat de Barcelona professors with experience in teaching non-native Spanish speakers.
While you'll find your classes to be engaging and stimulating, you'll be excited to know there are no Friday classes. This presents more opportunities to explore the bustling metro of Barcelona or nearby destinations throughout Europe and North Africa.
The Knox in Barcelona program includes several educational trips both near and far from Barcelona. We keep you busy!