Requirements for the major: Bachelor of Arts
11 credits as follows:
- PHYS 110, PHYS 130 or PHYS 130A, PHYS 205, PHYS 241 or PHYS 245
- Five additional credits numbered above 200, including at least two of: PHYS 310, PHYS 312, PHYS 313, PHYS 314. PHYS 340 may not be used to satisfy this requirement.
- Mathematics: MATH 205, and one of MATH 210, 215, 230 or PHYS 300. PHYS 300 may not be used additionally as one of the five elective credits.
With permission of the chair, up to 2 credits in related studies outside the department may be counted toward electives in the major.
Requirements for the major: Bachelor of Science
Students completing the Physics B.S. degree will complete all requirements for the Physics (B.A. degree) and complete the following 4 additional credits:
- 2 additional credits in Physics numbered 200 or above. PHYS 340 may not be used to satisfy this requirement.
- 1 additional credit in Biology, Chemistry or Environmental Studies in an approved course having a laboratory component, chosen from among the following courses or another course with the permission of the chair: Biol 110, 120, or 130; Chem 100A, 102A; Envs 125, 241.
- 1 additional approved credit in Mathematics or in Computer Science, chosen from among the following courses or another course with the permission of the chair: CS 141, 142; any math course numbered above 200.
Requirements for the Physics minor
5 credits as follows:
- PHYS 110
- PHYS 130 or 130A
- PHYS 205
- Two additional credits in Physics, one of which must be at the 300-level or above, and both of which must be approved by the Chair of the department
For medical and dental schools, the sequence PHYS 110, 120, and 130 or 130A includes laboratories and satisfies the general physics requirement. For the 3-2 engineering program, PHYS 110, 120 and 130 are the minimum needed; PHYS 205 is also recommended. Students considering graduate study or careers in physics should consider completing the following courses:
- PHYS 110, 120, 130, 205, and 241 or 245
- PHYS 310, 312, 313, 314 and at least two seminar courses (345, 346, 347)
- MATH 205, 210, and 230
- CS 147 (or 141) and 142
- CHEM 101 and 102
Requirements for the Astronomy minor
5 credits as follows:
- PHYS 110 (Mechanics) or 120 (Heat, Waves, and Light)
- PHYS 205 (Modern Physics) or CHEM 321 (Physical Chemistry I)
- PHYS 161 (Search for Extraterrestrial Life) or 167 (Astronomy)
- PHYS 245 (Observational Astronomy)
- One upper-level course in astrophysics: PHYS 316 (Stellar Astrophysics) or 317 (Extragalactic Astrophysics)