By studying philosophy, you learn to analyze abstract ideas, argue logically, and confirm or challenge a thesis. These skills have proven highly effective in graduate programs and professional schools as well as in business. Among alumni who majored in philosophy are the following:
Some are pursuing their education...
- Graduate Student, Fordham University. Anya Wang '17.
- Graduate Student, University of Maryland College Park. Nat Baldino '15.
- Law Student, Lewis & Clark College. James Smart '15.
- Ph.D. Student in Philosophy, University of Arkansas Fayetteville. Maxwell Gatyas '14.
Some work in business and management...
- Vice President, Rosenblatt Securities, Inc. Alex Kemmsies '09.
- Vice President Human Resources, Discovery Health Partners. Philip Garrison '87.
- President, Hyperl/O, LLC Storage. Thomas West '74. Boulder, Colorado.
- Vice President, The Northern Trust Company. Daniel Barron '71. Chicago, Illinois.
- Retired Senior Vice President Ombudsman, McDonald’s Corporation. John Cooke '52. Oak Brook, Illinois.
Some go into education...
- Associate Professor of Philosophy, Brandon Polite '03.
- Philosophy Teacher, University of Minnesota Rochester. Jacob Wright '03.
- Associate Professor of Population Health Program and John Dossetor Health Ethics Centre, University of Alberta. Laura Shanner '86. Alberta, Canada.
- President, Alliant International University. Geoffrey Cox '77.
- Director, Bureau of Education Services, University of Georgia. Michael Short '73. Athens, Georgia.
- Professor of Philosophy, Emory University. Donald Verene '59. Atlanta, Georgia.
And some have found success in other fields...
- Associate, Heavner, Beyers & Mihlar, LLC. Benjamin Mullison '10.
- Partner, Behr, McCarter & Potter, P.C. Joel Christensen '06.
- Executive Advertiser, Icon. Adam E. Robinson '97. Coralville, Iowa.
- Editor, Indonesia Publications. John MacDougall '81. Lanham-Seabrook, Missouri.
- Deputy Director, Illinois Environmental Protection Agency. William Seith '81. Springfield, Illinois.
- Media Relations Manager, Office of Public Relations, Knox College. Peter Bailley '74. Galesburg, Illinois.
- Public Defender, State of Connecticut. Joan Leonard '66. New Have, Connecticut.