Margot Werner '06 works with self-taught artists in her role as art therapist at LAND Gallery, a studio and g...
Explore other majors & minors
Associate Professor & Chair of Music
2 East South Street
Galesburg, IL 61401-4999
1. We come together to make great things happen. The Knox Jazz Ensemble tours internationally, records regularly, and hosts the annual Knox-Rootabaga Jazz Festival. Our Cherry Street Combo performs in town every Thursday night. Both groups recently won top awards at the national Elmhurst College Jazz Festival.
2. We work at the frontier. Every year our students and faculty premiere new works, produce new scholarship, and collaborate on inspiring, unexpected new projects. For example, senior Michelle Orr collaborated with fellow student and choreographer Evelyn Langley to create a composition for dance, percussion, strings, and voice, inspired by a Knox-sponsored trip to Ghana. And John Cusimano combined his interests in music and neuroscience to conduct a case study on music intervention in hospice settings.
3. We play out. The Knox College Choir has performed in Carnegie Hall and tours nationally and internationally. The Knox-Galesburg Symphony is a three-time winner of the Illinois Orchestra of the Year award; it performs six concerts every year in Galesburg's historic (and lovingly renovated) Orpheum Theater, three blocks from campus.
4. We play in. Our music department is found in the Eleanor Abbott Ford Center for the Fine Arts, which features the acoustically superb, 325-seat Kresge Recital Hall, a MIDI/digital music lab, Jay Rehearsal Hall, and 16 practice rooms (each with a Kawai piano) available to students seven days a week.
5. We play different. The Knox New Music Ensemble re-constitutes itself every term. It's open to anyone, so the roster of instruments is radically variable. The director (an award-winning composer) writes or commissions work specifically for the make-up of the ensemble, which they perform at the end of the term.
6. We invite the world in. The department hosts world-class artists, year-round--from Tuvan throat singers to Taiko drumming groups, from members of the renowned vocal quartet Anonymous 4, to Concertmaster of the Bolshoi Theater Ballet, Symphony and Chamber Orchestras Mikhail Tsinman, to Finnish composer Jaakko Mäntyjärvi. Our Jerome Mirza Jazz Residency brings renowned performers to campus, where they teach master classes and individual tutorials, participate in intensive workshops, present to the Knox community and produce a concert with the Knox student jazz musicians.
7. We create the future. This is a music program for tomorrow's musicians -- the performers and composers, the scholars, the teachers, the innovators.
All events are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted!
January 12, 4pm Knox Winter Jazz Series workshop: traditional Brazilian Batucada, a sub-style of samba drumming. No experience necessary and all ages welcome. Jay Rehearsal Hall.
January 12, 7:30 Knox Winter Jazz Series featuring The Luciano Antonio Brazilian Quartet. Kresge Recital Hall. Free and open to the public.
January 30, 7-9pm Open Drumming and Dancing Workshops with South African musicians Michael Barrett and Mbuso Ndlovu. Jay Rehearsal Hall, Free and open to the public
January 31, Noon-1pm Music Dept Colloquium. Jay Rehearsal Hall.
January 31, 7-9pm Open Drumming and Dancing Workshops with South African musicians Michael Barrett and Mbuso Ndlovu. Jay Rehearsal Hall.
February 16, 7:30pm Nova Concert, The Human Heart, First Lutheran Church, Galesburg. Tickets http://www.novasingers.com/purchase-tickets/ FREE FOR ALL STUDENTS
February 17, 3pm Luciano Berio: A Concert of Sequenzas, featuring performers from Knox and WIU. Kresge Recital Hall.
February 17, 4pm Nova Concert, The Human Heart, St. Paul Lutheran Church, Davenport, IA. Tickets www.novasingers.com/purchase-tickets
February 23, 7:30pm Knox-Galesburg Symphony: Stars Over Paris, Alexander Platt, guest conductor. Orpheum Theatre (call 341-7268 for tickets) www.knoxgalesburgsymphony.org
February 24, 3pm Knox College Choir's Send-off Concert, First Lutheran Church in Galesburg.
February 25, 7pm The Knox Jazz Ensemble with the Bradley Jazz Ensemble and special guest Wayne Bergeron, Fat Fish Pub.
February 26, 4pm General Student Recital, Kresge Recital Hall
February 27, 4pm General Student Recital, Kresge Recital Hall
March 3, 1:30pm Knox Chamber Winds and Brass Concert, First Lutheran Church.
March 3, 3pm Galesburg Regional Concert Band concert, First Lutheran Church.
March 5, 6pm Piano Studio Recital, featuring student solos and duos from all piano studios. Kresge Recital Hall.
March 22, 7:30 Knox College Choir Home Tour Concert, Kresge Recital Hall