Explore other majors & minors
1. Study at some of the most historic learning centers in Europe. Knox has been in dynamic, historical Besançon since 1966, making it the oldest American program in the city. Close to both Germany and Switzerland, the city offers authentic cultural aspects in art, history, and cuisine.
2. Sharpen your language skills through cultural immersion. Students are enrolled at the Centre de Linguistique Appliquée (CLA), a world renowned institute for teaching the French language. Students that spend two or more terms can take classes for credit at the University of Besancon.
3. Besançon is your classroom. Demographically young, Besançonis perfect for students to enjoy social life and cultural events. Visit the ""Musée du Temps" and discover the art of measuring time. Walk in the footsteps of native author Victor Hugo or painter Gustave Courbet, follow warrior Julius Caesar, and finally, enjoy the French way of having coffee at numerous cafés and terraces.
4. Use Besançon as a launch pad to the rest of the region. Besançon's location provides opportunities to take a ski trip in the south and a cultural vacation to Strasbourg, the official seat of the European Parliament. In less than three hours, you can visit Paris via bullet train.
5. We have the right people in the right places. The Knox program in Besançon has developed sustained and reliable relationships with host families, who students live with to help break into the French culture. A Knox faculty member and program assistant also live in Besançonto provide academic support, as well as 24/7 response to emergencies.
The Université de Franche-Comté, with an enrollment of 21,000 full-time students, was founded in 1423 in nearby Dole and was transferred to Besançon in 1691. The université provides a full range of courses in the departments of its two main facultés: Faculté des Lettres and Faculté des Sciences.
The Knox Program also enrolls participants at the Centre de Linguistique Appliquée (CLA), a world renowned institute for teaching French as a foreign language.
Each year, the Knox Program in France organizes one or more courses exclusively for Program participants. These courses vary from year to year, but normally include French cinema, regional history and civilization, and Francophone literature. These courses are open to all program participants.
The Knox in Besançon program includes several educational trips both near and far from the city. We keep you busy!
Back to Hello.knox.edu