May 9, 2022 marked the 100th anniversary of Flunk Day that students celebrated by sliding down an inflatable ...
Explore other majors & minors
Professor of Art; Director of the Art History Program
2 East South Street
Galesburg, IL 61401-4999
1. We combine a multidisciplinary liberal arts education with practical considerations. The art museum field is multifaceted. Our program relates to academic and professional interests from a wide range of disciplines. Students studying art history, studio art, education, history, archaeology, anthropology and business can pursue rewarding careers in a variety of museums, galleries and civic art organizations.
2. We prepare students for career success in the museum field. Art museums are one of the fastest growing areas of the culture industry. Our minor allows students to critically learn about art museums and the many opportunities for professional growth within them. Students will acquire multiple skills to support a career in this field, including curating, exhibition design, museum education, collections management, organizational leadership, fundraising and marketing.
3. We give you valuable experience before you graduate. In addition to learning about museum history and theory, students receive valuable hands-on training in museum practice. Our classes include an exhibition project in which students research, curate and design exhibits in the Borzello Gallery on campus, or develop pop-up and online exhibits. The program provides additional professional experience through specialized internships in local or national art museums.
4. We introduce you to the important growing social role of art museums. Art museums are transforming into vital centers for community dialogue, which is why our program is also committed to addressing issues of social, racial, gender and sexual diversity, and social justice themes.
5. Our grads find success. Sandy Guttman ’10 became Assistant Curator at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington, D.C. Joseph Mohan ’03 is Director of Production, Publications Department at the Art Institute of Chicago. Melissa Mohr ’04 is Curator of Education at the Figge Art Museum, Davenport, Iowa. Abigail Yoder ’04 is Curatorial Assistant at the St. Louis Art Museum.