Requirements for the major
10 credits in the program as follows:
- Core Courses: Introductory courses: AFST 101, AFST 145 and AFST 263
- Five electives selected from other Africana Studies courses including at least one credit at the 300-level and no more than one credit at the 100-level. No more than one credit is counted from AFST 250, AFST 350 and/or internship (see below)
- AFST 389
- AFST 399
- (Optional) An internship for credit, practicum or other approved community-based work may be substituted for up to one elective credit. Approval of the Chair of Africana Studies is required.
Requirements for the minor
5 credits in the program as follows:
- AFST 101
- 4 additional credits in Africana Studies, of which one may be taken as an independent study
- A student project that applies the perspectives of Africana Studies to material experience outside the context of an explicitly Africana Studies course. The project may be done within the context of: (a) an Honors project (b) an internship, work experience, or community action. Students doing such an action-oriented project submit a written report of their activities.
The choice of a project is made in consultation with the Chair of Africana Studies.