RecycleMania is a friendly competition and benchmarking tool for colleges and universities to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities.
Over an 8-week period, February 3 - March 30, 2019, Knox will be tracking the weights of how much we throw out, how much food we donate, and how much we recycle. With the goal of our diversion and recycling rates increasing throughout the competition!
Participate in one of these events during the 8 weeks to inspire you to waste less and recycle more!
February 3 - RecycleMania kickoff!
Week of February 3 - Mug Shots
- Visit Seymour Gallery during meals to get your Mug Shot taken. Snap a photo in front of our sustainability ranking line up. Post your photo and tag it for entry into a raffle for a reusable mug!
Week of February 10 - Upcycle Workshop
- Make something new out of something old! We'll have supplies, you just have to bring your creativity. Join us February 15.
Week of February 17 - TRASHion Show
- Show off your creative side while reducing waste! Using only reusable materials, create an outfit or a wearable piece of art. Sign up will be Monday and Tuesday (we'll have some materials you can use) and the show off what you created at the TRASHion show on Thursday, February 22.
Week of February 24 - Trivia Plinko
- Try your luck at our Trivia game. Correct answers win a prize!
Week of March 3 - Caught Green Handed
- Be careful this week - you may be caught "green handed"! RecycleMania agents will be on the lookout to catch you recycling, clearing your plate, using a reusable mug, and other sustainable behaviors. If you get caught, you get a special prize!
Week of March 10 - Week off... enjoy your break!
Week of March 17 - Mug Shots return to Seymour Gallery
Week of March 24 - Trivia Plinko returns to Seymour Gallery
Rankings and Competitions
Each week we will post our rankings to the Knox Sustainability Facebook page and Knox Sustainability Instagram page.
Knox will also compete in national competitions in the following categories:
- Diversion Category - the school with the highest waste diversion percentage. Diversion is determined by the percentage of the total weight of recyclables and food organics diverted from total waste generated.
- Stephen K Gaski Per Capita Classic - the school that collects the largest combined amount of paper, cardboard and bottles and cans on a per person basis.
- Food Organics - points are awarded for food waste minimization activities and the amount of food that is diverted from the landfill.
Visit RecycleMania.org for more info about the national competition.