Each floor in the Elder-Campbell residence hall consists of two suites of six rooms each--4 double-occupancy and 2 singles--that open into a common living area. One room on each floor will be home to an upperclassman, who will serve as the resident assistant (RA) for the floor. The suite system is one of the distinctive features that makes student housing at Knox especially conducive to community-building. Elder basement offers 5 double-occupancy rooms for upperclassmen. The rest of the building serves as a first-year hall that is co-ed by floor.
Elder-Campbell are part of a low-rise residential complex called the "New Quad", built during the 1960's but completely refurnished in 1997. The buildings are named after noted Knox professors James A. Campbell and Lucius W. Elder; Campbell a member of the Economics and Business Administration faculty from 1914 to 1944, and Elder a professor of English from 1917 to 1948.