Each floor in the Elder-Campbell Residences is a suite of six rooms that open into a common living area. The "suite" system is one of the distinctive features that makes student housing at Knox especially conducive to community-building.
Elder basement offers 5 double-occupancy rooms for upper-classmen available in housing lottery. The rest of the building serves as a first-year hall that is co-ed by floor. The floors each have two suites that consist of 4 double-occupancy rooms and 2 singles that open into a common area. One room will be home to an upperclassman that serves as the resident assistant for the floor.
Elder-Campbell are part of a low-rise residential complex called the "New Quad", built during the 1960's but completely refurnished in 1997. The buildings are named after noted Knox professors James A. Campbell and Lucius W. Elder; Campbell a member of the Economics and Business Administration faculty from 1914 to 1944, and Elder a professor of English from 1917 to 1948.