Your emotional wellness is important to us. That's why confidential counseling is available free of charge to all enrolled Knox students, where you have the opportunity to talk with an objective professional about your feelings and concerns.
Having a hard time adjusting to college? Classes or relationships leaving you anxious, stressed, or depressed? Not getting along with your roommate? Suffering from an eating disorder or substance abuse? We're here to help. The following services are provided:
- Personal Counseling: We offer short term individual counseling. If you require longer term counseling, we will refer you to professionals in the Galesburg community.
- Outreach: Our staff is available to provide outreach programs on a wide variety of topics, including stress management, time management, substance abuse, procrastination, eating disorders, and more. We also provide outreach to the Knox community on other topics upon request.
- Consultations: We're available to faculty, staff, and students for consultations regarding how to help a student. On or off campus referrals are also available.
- Confidentiality: Your right to privacy is fully protected, and counseling is strictly confidential as provided by law. If you want personal information supplied to a psychologist or Knox official, a release form must be signed. Counseling records are not a part of your academic record.
How to Reach Us
- Appointments: Call 309-341-7492, e-mail Dan Larson, or visit our office at 175 W. Knox Street (south/back side of Furrow Residential Hall across from the soccer field).
- Hours: We're available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Emergencies: Call Campus Safety at 309-341-7979 on nights and weekends, and they can assist you in reaching a counselor.
It is an emergency when a student:
- Expresses imminent suicidal thought and/or a plan
- Expresses imminent homicidal thoughts
- Loses emotional control severely
- Shows gross impairment in thinking ability
- Exhibits bizarre behavior
- Experienced recent domestic or sexual assault
- Dan Larson, Ed.D., Director of Counseling Services, Licensed Clinical Psychologist
- Allison Schieferle Uhlenbrock, MA, LPC., Staff Counselor Sexual Assault Advocate
- Kaleena Williams, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Vicki Swedlund, Secretary
Resources available if you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide.
I would like to update everyone about Wellness Wednesday. As we move into spring term Wellness Wednesday will now be held on the 1st and 3rd Monday's at 4:00 pm in the same location of Knight Lounge of Alumni Hall.
These hours are available for students who wish to discuss the sexual assault reporting process in a confidential space. Tuesday and Fridays 3:30 to 4:30 Please contact Vicki, secretary to schedule an appointment at ext. 7492.
Koginto trainings are still available and open to all students, faculty, and staff.
Debriefing sessions will be held on Monday 4-13 and 4-27 at 4:00 pm for any and all students/staff to attend. Sessions will take place in the counseling Center and coordinated by Kaleena Williams, MSW LCSW.