If you are interested in learning more about becoming an RA, you may speak with current RAs and staff supervisors, or feel free to come to an informational meeting! Attendance at one of these informational sessions is not mandatory for your application process.
- Thursday, March 27, at 6:00 p.m. in Ferris Lounge
- Monday, March 31, at 4:00 p.m. in Ferris Lounge
Application Part 1
The first portion of the application allows us to get to know you better! We are going "electronic" this year in hopes of saving some trees along the way, while also being able to read everyone's handwriting. Please print and complete the application. Unfortunately, it cannot be saved and e-mailed.
- Due Friday, April 4, by 4:00 p.m. to the Campus Life Office
We ask that you fill out two (2) reference forms. These should be completed by your current RA, as well as a staff or faculty member at Knox College. If you do not want to use your current RA or do not have a faculty or staff member that can fill out a form, please contact Kathleen Drake for permission to ask other individuals.
- Due Friday, April 4, at 4:00 p.m. to K-Box 228
Group Interview Process
Our first interview process is a "group interview." This enables the staff to see how you work in small groups while solving a problem. You do not need to dress up for this interview. You will placed into groups and enjoy some small activities/exercises. Sign-ups will be available after spring break in the Campus Life office.
- Friday, April 4, from 6:00-9:00 p.m., and Sunday, April 6, from 3:00-6:00 p.m.
Application Part 2
We ask that you then reflect on your experiences throughout your group process. This is the "second" portion of the application process. You will be provided with an electronic copy of reflective questions after your group experience.
- Due Tuesday, April 8, at 4:00 p.m. to the Campus Life Office
The last interview process is more of an individual conversation. Current RAs and staff will get an opportunity to read through your application and reflections concerning the group process. This will allow each staff member to have a deeper and more meaningful conversation with you and your interests in being an RA. Sign-ups will be available after Group Process Interviews.
- Thursday, April 10 - Friday, April 18
We will hand out offers to join staff via K-Box on Thursday, April 24, before noon. You will have until Friday, April 25, at 4:00 p.m. to accept an offer.
Resident Advisor Expectations and Standards
- Creating a community within your suite, building, or area. Building this environment is crucial from the very first day to the last day!
- Being a role model for your living area and the campus at large. As an RA, you are a premier leader on campus and need to show that in the classroom, on campus, and off campus the whole school year.
- Providing programs for your residents. Your programming model and requirements will be based on your community.
- Enforcing the Knox College policies provided in the Student Handbook. Creating that safe and secure environment is needed for student success here on campus.
- Completing administrative duties. You will have required meetings and paperwork, as well as storage hours, orientation, Commencement volunteer hours, and hall closing responsibilities.
- Ensuring a suite/building/area that supports the academic mission.
- Having the ability to respond to a crisis situation on campus. By living on campus in your area, you are available to assist in a time of need for any student.
- Mediating conflict. You are an extension of the Campus Life Office staff and therefore will be giving the tools to talk, assist, and mediate issues that arise in your area.
- Supporting Knox College through a new initiative, "Leading Through Doing: RA Groups," which includes working with initiatives in diversity/inclusion, wellness and safety, and sustainability.
As a resident advisor, we have individual expectations of you as a Knox student.
- Maintain a 2.2 cumulative grade point average.
- You must stay in good judicial standing with the College. Please note: This doesn't mean that if your name has appeared in a Campus Safety report or RA report that you will not be eligible to apply.
- We expect you to be involved on campus. These experiences serve as additional benefits to the job and your residents. However, you will be asked to meet with a Campus Life member to determine the best course of action if you cannot balance your academics, RA position, and other responsibilities, and if it affects your job or community.
- The RA position should be a top commitment following academics. This includes other clubs or organizations.
- And last but not least ... we expect you to have fun! This is a great opportunity to learn life skills and gain experience that will help you in the future!
Resident Advisor Compensation and Opportunities
- A new RA receives, at minimum, a $2,400 stipend for the year.
- A medium-sized refrigerator for use during the academic year for those RAs who are interested.
- Opportunities to learn, develop, and fine-tune skills that can be transferred to any situation, including:
- Working alongside groups related to the top three Knox College initiatives in the "Leading Through Doing: RA Groups" initiative on diversity/inclusion, wellness and safety, and sustainability.
- Working in RA staff groups on campus wide programs, late night programs, peer programs, training and development, summer programs, safety on campus, recognition, and more!
- Involvement and attendance in the Illinois State Resident Assistant Association (ISRAA) annual conference and development series.
- Working with other RAs on projects and day-to-day activities.
- Collaborating with administration, faculty, and staff.
- Speaking in front of groups (staff, suites, etc.).
Identifying and Solving Issues
- This includes in your living unit and campus-wide.
Conflict Mediation and Resolution
- Working with students on how to effectively communicate with each other to resolve issues.
- Get experiences working with other departments and groups on campus to create programming in and out of your community!
And much more!