Umbrellas on the Gizmo Patio #

Offices & Services > Office of International Student Services

After Knox FAQ


Office of International Student Services

2 East South Street

Galesburg, IL 61401-4999



The Court House Tower.

Congratulations, Senior!

Your options upon completion of your studies at Knox are to return to your home country to use the knowledge you've gained, to continue on to graduate school in the United States or abroad, to work abroad, or to work in the United States for one year.

If you are selected for a Knox Post-Baccalaureate Fellowship, make an appointment with the International Advisor to update your immigration documents before the end of spring term.

When must I leave the United States after my course of study is complete?
You may remain in the United States for 60 days after the date of your program completion, either undergraduate or graduate, or for 60 days after completion of your Optional Practical Training.

How do I transfer for my 3-2 program or graduate school?
Most U.S. schools will ask you to have the Knox Designated School Official, DSO, complete a 'Transfer In' form, which they provide. Be sure to ask for this form and meet with the DSO once you have been accepted to another program. If you attend a graduate program outside the United States there is nothing you need to do before your departure.

Your graduate study program start date must be within 30 days of the end of your 60 day post-program completion period. OPT must be completed within 14 months of your program completion and is only extendable for students receiving a STEM degree.

What should I do as an F-1 student before I graduate?

  • Make sure a copy of your first I-20, I-94, Social Security card, visa and passport data page are in your student file.
  • Complete an OPT request no later than 30 days after Commencement, if desired
  • Confirm your next address to the Knox mailroom and international advisor
  • Complete transfer paperwork with the international advisor if going on to U.S. graduate school
  • Be sure the business office knows where you want your last W-2 forms sent for paying taxes/getting a refund. Remember your senior year covers two tax years.
  • Please remember that you must have met your debts to the College in order to receive your transcripts and diploma.
Knox College

Printed on Monday, May 25, 2015

Back to