Editing a Page
Once you've created a page, or signed in to edit a page, you will see the following elements on the page in the CMS:
- Title: This is the name of the page as it appears on the browser title bar, and in search results on the Knox site and on external search engines such as Google.
- Abstract: Enter a short description of the page, which will appear in all search results (such as Google, Bing, or the search bar on knox.edu. You should aim for around 30 words (150 characters) and include as many keywords as possible.
- The remaining fields in the SEO Group are not required.
Main Content Fields
- Header: This is the headline that will appear at the top of the page. The page header should briefly describe the content on the page. Incoporate key words and phrases (see below) as early in the headline as possible while still sounding natural for the reader.
- Subheader: Falls just below the header. Type is smaller, but it is still important to keep content brief and direct. Try not to repeat the same information as the header. A subheader is optional.
- If you are using a Departmental Detail Page, you have two additional fields after the header/subheader:
Intro Content and Intro Image: These fields are intended as a specially-formatted lead paragraph. It appears on the page above the main body copy, with slightly larger type. The image is aligned right against the type. These fields are optional.
- Body Copy: This is where you put the main body copy, or the 'meat' of the page.
The Body Copy field has a fully-featured formatting bar with tools and functions similar to Word and most word processors. These include bolding, italic, numbered and bulleted list tools, cut/copy/paste, undo, spell-check, and more.
Here are the main functions you will use:
Undo, Redo: Undo and Redo are very familiar from other applications, allowing for unlimited levels of undo and redo on a page and tracking all changes until the user navigates away from the page. Undo and Redo act on each discreet operation, where each stretch of unbroken typing is considered one contiguous operation.
Font Family: The font has already been set within the CMS. You will not need to change the font style or size setting.
Bold, Italic, Underline: Simply highlight the text and select the appropriate icon. Do not underline text, as it may be interpreted by users as a clickable link.
Text Color and Background: All type must remain black for consistency and ease in readability. All links created will automatically appear in black underline on www.knox.edu (within the CMS they will appear purple and will be underlined). Purple headers are allowed; please refer to the web standards guide.
Bulleted Lists, Numbered Lists: There are icons that allow you to create bulleted and numbered lists. Place the cursor in the desired paragraph and click the icon. Note that there must be a hard return (enter) separating the copy you want to bullet or number from the copy that precedes and follows it, which means that there will always be a space separating the list from the copy that comes before and after it.
More advanced CMS functions are described on the following pages: