Pitch Your Ideas
Why and How Students Volunteer at Knox
Some of the greatest projects that have happened in the Center for Community Service are those that were pitched by students!
All you need is an idea or a passion and we can get to work on designing a plan of action as well as deciding how to let other students know about your project. The Center for Community Service is a great resource to help you define your goals, develop a plan, promote your project, and get the helping hands you'll need.
So, how does it work?
Make an appointment with the Center to pitch your idea. Here are things to consider as you formulate your idea:
- Has anyone done this before? E-mail other Knox clubs, Greek organizations, faculty and staff
- What is the goal? Create a mission statement: why you are pursuing this goal
- Recruitment and advertising: Do you plan to reserve a table in Seymour? Make flyers or postcards, design an email to all students, send invitations, submit to the Knox Calendar, write a TKS Advert/interview for TKS
- Finding a Community Partner: Is this a local, regional, national, or international project?
- How much time do you have? When will your project start and finish?
- Timeline: There are three 10-week sessions in the Knox College academic calendar. The chart below highlights winter term '13 and spring term '14 during the 2013-2014 academic calendar.
- The grey weeks are considered "blackout times" because students are just returning to campus or they are about to leave campus.
Winter Term '13 Spring Term '14 Jan. 3-6 March 27-31 Jan. 7-13 April 1-7 Jan. 14-20 April 8-14 Jan. 21-27 April 15-21 Jan. 28-Feb. 3 April 22-28 Feb. 4-10 April 29-May 5 Feb. 11-17 May 6-12 Feb. 18-24 May 13-19 Feb. 25-March 3 May 20-26 March 4-10 May 27-June 2 March 11-12 June 3-4
- Are you interested in partnering with another organization on campus?
- Do you need funding for supplies, travel or entertainment?
- Are you acting as an individual or this an event produced by a club, organization or Greek house?
- Do you want to pursue forming a club on campus?
- How will you keep track of and report the volunteer hours to the CCS?