Calling all fans: The Knox College Prairie Fire Athletics Women's and Men's Basketball teams are playing at h...
Explore other offices & services
If you have OSX 10.8 - Mountain Lion - there is a new security feature called Gatekeeper. This application sets the system security to initially prevent the installation of any software not obtained via Apple's App store.
If you have OSX 10.8 - Mountain Lion- you must make changes to these security settings in order to install the College required Bradford and Sophos applications. These settings may be reverted once Sophos and Bradford have been installed.
Gatekeeper options are found in Apple menu > System Preferences... > Security & Privacy > General tab. Under the header "Allow applications downloaded from: select "Anywhere".
1. After connecting to Knox-Wireless, open up a web browser and try to navigate to a new page. You will automatically be forwarded to the Network Registration Page.
Read over the acceptable use policy and click on Accept. Then click Next.
2. On the next page, choose the first option: Students, Faculty and Constituents who have a permanent Knox Account.
3. On the next page, provide your Knox username and password and click Download. The Bradford installer will be downloaded to your computer.
4. Run the Bradford installer. When the installation completes you will be asked to enter your Knox username and password. Enter it and click Login. Braford will now begin a scan that checks your computer for required operating system upgrades and anti-virus.
5. When the scan completes you will be placed on to the remediation network. Return to your web browser and navigate to any web page. You will be taken to the remediation page. Depending on the status of your computer you will need to either install operating system updates, install and update Sophos Anti-Virus, or both.
6. To update your computer click the apple in the upper left corner of your screen and click "software update...", install any items that Software update finds. Repeat this step until software update says your system is up to date.
7. To install Sophos Anti-Virus click the Anti-Virus :: Sophos link.
Click Knox Sophos Installer, you will be prompted to enter your Knox username and password
Click the Knox Sophos Installer - Mac.dmg link to download the Sophos installer. When the download completes mount (double click) and run the Knox-Sophos Anti-Virus.mpkg file. *Note* If you get a warning that Sophos is from an unidentified developer Refer to the special step for Mac OS 10.8 at the bottom of this page.
On the Install Sophos Anti-Virus window click continue and complete the installation.
8. Update Sophos by right (ctrl) clicking the Sophos shield in the system tray, select Update now.
9. Return to your web browser and click the rescan button. Bradford will scan your computer again. If your scan fails repeat steps 6 and 8. If your scan is successful Bradford will reconfigure your network card and give you complete internet access.
*Special step for 10.8 and later*
If you get a warning that Sophos is from an unidentified developer you need to change your Security and Privacy settings.
Go to your computer's Security & Privacy settings and check Allow applications downloaded from anywhere
If you need additional assistance, call the Help Desk at ext. 7700.
Back to Hello.knox.edu