Search
A student mixes paint outside of the Ford Center for the Fine Arts.

Offices & Services > Knox College Government & Community Relations > Living in Galeburg

The Gale House

Contact

Karrie Heartlein

Director of Government and Community Relations

2 East South Street

Galesburg, IL 61401-4999

309-341-7340

kheartle@​knox.edu

The Court House Tower.

The Gale House was home to the Galesburg and Knox College founder Reverend George Washington Gale and his family from 1841 to 1870. At that time, the property was known as Gales Grove and ran north to present day Grove Street.The George Washington Gale House in Galesburg Illinois

During its 170-year history, the house has undergone a number of changes. George Adams Tryon and his wife, Julia Whiting Tryon, bought the home in 1870 from the George Washington Gale estate. George Adams Tryon expanded the home to accommodate his wife, Julia Whiting Tryon and four children.

In the late 1920's the Victorian porches across the front were converted to the smaller Greek Revival style porches. The east side of the home was converted to two apartments in the early 1940's and then back to a single family home in 1995. Through all these changes, the original Gale House remained intact and distinctly recognizable. In 1990, the house was designated as a Galesburg historic landmark.

It remained in the Tryon family until 2006, when it was purchased by Knox College through a gift from Bill and Beth Charlet Suitts of Boulder, Colorado.

 

Suitts Center at the Gale HouseWinter decorations on the mantle in the Gale House.

Guest House Accommodations

The Gale House is currently available only to guests of the College. Contact Karrie Heartlein for more information. Complete this form for reservations.

Amenities

Accommodations in the historic Gale House include:

  • Guest room
  • Bath with hair dryer
  • Guest access to the Knox Network wi-fi
  • Coffee service
  • Access to full kitchen
  • Television and reading lounge
  • Iron & ironing board
  • Washing machine & dryer