Government & Community Relations
Building Relationships with our Community
The Knox College Office of Government and Community Relations serves as the President's liaison to government officials, area businesses, and community organizations.
The director of government and community relations also serves as the College's chief spokesperson on strategic initiatives and institutional issues.
The office coordinates governmental policy and compliance at Knox and works to promote the College as a resource to government officials. Knox College government relations staff also maintain relationships with membership organizations, associations, and alliances with whom Knox College has common interests.
The role of the office in government relations is to
- Serve as an advocate for the College's strategic goals and initiatives with key policymakers, lawmakers, and community members.
- Monitor federal, state, and local legislation and coordinate compliance efforts on campus.
- Interact with federal, state, and local governments, internal and external stakeholders, and campus neighbors to engage them on issues of common interest and promote the strategic interests of the College.
- Develop government relations strategies and shape institutional responses to local, state and federal legislation.
- Establish and maintain strong and effective relationships with members of Illinois' Congressional delegation, the State Legislature, the Governor's office, the City of Galesburg's leadership, and other key constituencies.
Community Relations & Civic Engagement
The office seeks to strengthen Knox's connections to Galesburg area business, non-profits, and community organizations, and to promote meaningful involvement and a culture of civic engagement among all members of the College community (students, faculty, staff, and alumni).
The role of the office in community relations is to
- Establish and enhance relationships with area businesses, non-profits, and government entities with the purpose of promoting opportunities for student internships, service, and research.
- Identify and coordinate opportunities for partnership among the City of Galesburg, community organizations, and the College.
- Reinforce Knox's unique value to the community by communicating the service it provides as an economic and cultural hub.
- Serve as a clearinghouse to collect and disseminate information on civic and service learning opportunities.
- Connect and coordinate related efforts among individual faculty and staff as well as programs and departments throughout the College.
If you have any questions, please contact Karrie Heartlein, director of government and community relations, firstname.lastname@example.org