PrintShareE-Mail This Page

Questions Before Arrival

Don't worry, you're not alone. Everyone has questions before they head off to college. Here are answers to questions international students commonly have before traveling to Knox.


When can I obtain my visa before coming to Knox?

You should apply for your visa as soon as you know that you want to attend Knox. We issued you a Form I-20, which will allow you to apply for an F-1 or J-1 nonimmigrant student visa. If you received Form I-20, you should read the "Instructions to Students" on page 2 very carefully and then complete section 11. View more information about getting a visa.

When must I report to Knox?

You must report to Knox by the date given in item #5 of your I-20. If you will be delayed, you must notify the Designated School Official, DSO. Late arrival after the first five days of classes is very problematic and must be requested in writing.

When can I enter the United States before coming to Knox?

You may enter the United States up to 30 days before your program start date, entered as item #5 on your Knox issued I-20. You are free to travel and visit friends or family once you enter the United States, but please do not expect to be able to move into your Knox residence until international student arrival day.

How do I get to Galesburg?

The closest commercial airports to Galesburg are Peoria (PIA) and Moline (MLI) Illinois. You will need to fly into an international airport and connect into Peoria (PIA) or Moline (MLI). View our Travel Arrangements page and the international student shuttle schedule.

What immunizations are needed? What if I'm missing some shots?

International students must provide written proof of the month and year that the following immunizations were received: Diphtheria, Tetanus, Measles, Mumps, and Rubella. The criteria for administration dates may be obtained by contacting the Office of Student Development at 309-341-7222. If you are unable to complete your immunizations before you come, you may obtain shots after you arrive in Galesburg. Learn more about immunization requirements.

Do I need medical insurance?

All Knox students are strongly advised to have comprehensive health insurance. While basic health care is available through Health Services on campus, chronic or extended medical conditions, prescriptions, x-rays, lab tests, emergency medical care, and hospital visits are your financial responsibility -- and they can be quite costly. To learn more about voluntary or individual health insurance plans, please visit HTH Worldwide.

How do I pay my fees to Knox?

You may pay your fees either in person when you arrive on campus, or you may pay through an international bank transfer from your home country. To pay by through an international bank transfer, sign in through the peerTransfer gateway. You will have the ability to select the country where the funds are originating and the correct currency so the conversion is handled in real-time. If you have any questions, please contact Penny Young in the Knox Business Office. She can also help you with extended payment options.

What do I do if my forms haven't arrived?

The new student pages will guide you to online versions of the forms you need to complete before arrival. You may fax completed forms to (309) 341-7077, or scan the information and e-mail it to the international advisor. Please bring the original forms with you to Knox.