A student lays out component of her display on the floor of Ford Center for the Fine Arts. #
Purple pens given to campus visitors

What you need to do so you can work at Knox

Congratulations on getting your campus job!

Now that you've been hired to work on campus, your next step is to visit the Social Security Office (SSA) to apply for a Social Security Number or SSN. Remember that you MUST provide proof of having applied for your SSN card to the Business Office before you will be paid.

If you can't find the Social Security application you received during orientation, go to the Social Security website and download form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. You may also pick up a form in the Center for Intercultural Life. Complete the form with these points in mind:

  • You are allowed to work
  • Use Knox K-148 as the mailing address P.O. Box
  • You need only provide your parent's names
  • Your phone number for official purposes is 309-341-7000
  • Remember to use the U.S. date convention of month/day/year

Please e-mail the Office of International Student Services and make an appointment to pick up your SEVIS confirmation of work eligibility before you apply for your card. You'll need to present the following documents at the SSA office:

  • Your SEVIS confirmation of work eligibility from the DSO
  • Your letter of employment from the Business Office
  • Your passport, visa, I-94 card and I-20

The SSA office hours are 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. every Monday through Friday, except national holidays. There is no charge for the SSN card. The office is located near the intersection of Seminary Street and Carl Sandburg Drive, at 2060 Windish Drive. The #1 Blue Route bus will get you there in 30 minutes. Your appointment will take about 15 minutes and receipt of your card takes two weeks.

Knox College

Printed on Friday, October 24, 2014