Search
Students gather around a parachute as part of international student orientation. #

Contact

John Schlaf

Director of Campus Safety

2 East South Street

Galesburg, IL 61401-4999

309-341-7255

jschlaf@​knox.edu

A handicap parking space on Cherry Street outside of George Davis Hall.

Smoking, Open Flames, and Portable Appliances

All on-campus residential units and academic buildings areas are considered smoke-free. Residents and their guests may not smoke inside any on-campus residence or interior area of any buildings. No lighting or heating device that produces an open flame or smoke is allowed in any on-campus residence (excluding designated kitchens). This includes candles, incense, open flames, kerosene, electric or propane heaters, hot plates and fuel containers.

Knox College expects, and the State of Illinois requires, all students to follow the Fire Safety Code. Violations of this code may result in disciplinary action.

The College enforces the following fire regulations:

  • Prompt and complete evacuation of campus buildings or facilities is mandatory when a fire alarm is sounded or when students are so directed by a college staff member. Individuals who violate this will be subject to disciplinary action.
  • No electrical heat-producing appliances other than irons, electric blankets, hair dryers, hot pots and popcorn poppers are permitted in residence halls or housing units. No toaster ovens are permitted.
  • All appliances such as hair dryers, coffee pots, popcorn poppers and irons must be plugged directly into wall outlets and unplugged when not in use.
  • The use of space heaters in students' rooms is not permitted. Space heaters will be confiscated.
  • The use of "torchiere" halogen lamps in student rooms is not permitted. Halogen lamps will be confiscated.
  • Flammable decorations are not permitted in College housing units. This includes but is not limited to Christmas trees, wreathes, and untreated bunting.
  • Open flames, including candles, kerosene lamps, and other similar items, are not permitted in any College-owned or approved housing units.
  • No flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, turpentine or similar substances may be stored in any College-owned or approved housing unit. Any of these substances found in College housing will be confiscated, and disciplinary action will be taken.
  • Only College wiring is allowed in residence hall rooms, and only a reasonable number of standard U.L. approved extension cords may be used. Extension cords must be exposed at all times; they may not be placed under carpets, behind desks, etc.
  • Smoke detectors should not be covered, blocked, or otherwise tampered with. Care should be taken not to spray aerosol cans near them or to create smoke in confined areas.
  • Tampering with fire equipment is a violation of the State of Illinois law and is prohibited by the College. Fire extinguishers are not to be removed from their proper locations or to be discharged except in the event of a fire emergency. Any tampering with fire equipment will result in disciplinary action (including restitution for the cost of recharging fire extinguishers) and/or criminal prosecution.
  • Safety signs and markings are not to be tampered with or defaced.
  • Fire doors and any other doors with closing mechanisms are to be kept closed at all times except in the event of a fire emergency.
  • Nothing is allowed to block, even partially, any means of exit.

Electrical Appliances/Cooking

Television sets, computers, stereos, and small refrigerators are permitted but the residence hall rooms are not wired to carry larger appliances such as air conditioners and space heaters. Only UL-approved electrical cords should be used. Power strips are highly encouraged. The use of extension cords in student rooms is highly discouraged. A reasonable number of electrical appliances may be used if they are electrically safe and don't have exposed wires or heating elements.

Cooking is not allowed in student rooms or suites. Most residence halls provide cooking facilities, usually in the basement of the halls. Food may be kept in student rooms but it must be stored in sealed containers. Toasters, hot plates, electric skillets, and the like are not permitted.

Details regarding these matters are also contained within the "Student Handbook" section on the Student Life web page.

Knox College

http://www.knox.edu/offices/campus-safety/annual-fire-safety-report/fire-safety-policies

Printed on Wednesday, October 01, 2014