All bicycles on the Knox campus must be registered at the Campus Safety office (368 S. Prairie Street). In cooperation with the Galesburg Police Department (GPD), Campus Safety utilizes the GPD bicycle registration stickers at no cost to Knox students. The registration information is then retained by both departments so that, in the event the recovery of a lost or stolen bicycle on and off campus, it may be returned to the student owner.
Students are encouraged to utilize the bicycle racks located throughout the campus and to securely lock bicycles when not in use. Bicycles are not permitted in stairwell areas. Likewise, fire code restrictions prohibit locking bicycles to stair rails or other structures that would, in any way, restrict the movement into or out of buildings during an emergency. Facilities Services and/or Campus Safety representatives are required to remove bicycles that have been placed or locked in such a manner as to restrict such movement in campus bulidings.
Bicycles should be removed from campus bicycle racks prior to summer and winter breaks to permit grounds care and building repairs which take place during the break. During that period, bicycles may be stored in campus bicycle storage without cost. The storage process may be coordinated with the Office of Campus Life.
Biking at Knox
- All bikes on campus must be registered with Campus Safety. This is a free service and can be done by filling out a simple form which includes the bike serial number and description and then placing a yellow sticker in a visible location on the bike. This can be done by visiting Campus Safety or setting up an appointment at 309-341-7979.
- Bicycles cannot be locked to handrails or railings at any time. They may not be locked inside hallways or stairwells and cannot be blocking doors or sidewalks at any time. Any bicycle found in such a position may be removed by Campus Safety. If possible, all attempts will be made to contact owner before cutting off lock.
- Winter and Summer Bike Storage - the Office of Campus Life provides secured, indoor storage for bicycles during winter break, winter term, and summer break. Contact them for more information and to set up an appointment.
- Bike Share - all students may use bicycles at no cost through the long-term and short-term bike share programs. For more information, please visit www.knox.edu/bikes
- Bike Shop - a campus bike shop is located in the basement of Old Jail and provides free guidance and support on bike repair, as well as teaching classes on bike safety and repair. For more information, please visit www.knox.edu/bikes