Knox College and the Sitka Conservation Society invite applications for the Wild Salmon Conservation and Restoration Intern. The intern will spend their summer in Southeast Alaska, assisting SCS and their partners, such as the U.S. Forest Service, with their salmon habitat restorations projects, salmon conservation efforts, and salmon education and outreach. This summer internship will provide a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build hands-on, career-oriented experience with a dynamic and well-established conservation society situated amidst the largest temperate rainforest in the world. Graduating seniors not eligible to apply.
Application deadline is April 15.
- Work under the supervision of the Watershed Program Manager at the Sitka Conservation Society.
- Assist with various watershed restoration activities, which might include stream studies, salmon habitat construction, monitoring projects, and cataloging.
- Provide logistical support for watershed restoration activities.
- Help devise, plan, and execute education and outreach efforts based on work completed in the field.
- Blog, photograph, and write about experience that documents work being done.
- Potentially assist with additional restoration work with the U.S. Forest Service.
- Have fun in Sitka, the most beautiful (and sometimes rainy) place on earth!
- Enrolled at Knox College and an interest or background in conservation biology, ecology, natural resource management, social justice, sustainability, or related majors or fields.
- Ability to quickly understand complex issues and must work well in collaborative, independent, and public environments.
- Experience and/or willingness to travel and camp in the wilderness will be considered. This position includes working as part of a team at remote field sites.
- Provide a written 1-2 page summary of his/her summer experience and submit to the Bastian Family Career Center to share with the Donor.
- Approximately beginning of June through end of August
- Reimbursement for travel to and from Sitka, $1,000 (receipt required).
- Stipend of $1,800 to help cover living expenses will be provided by the Sitka Conservation Society.
- Shared housing will be provided.
To be considered, submit to the Bastian Family Career Center by April 15:
- Application form (PDF)
- Brief description (1-2 pages) indicating why you are interested in this internship
- Degree Audit and Unofficial Transcript (on my.knox.edu on the Registrar's page under Student Tools).