The Office of Academic Assessment has started to develop a library featuring a collection of books on assessment theories, practices, and examples. The library is located in SMC: E-115. Faculty and staff are welcome to stop by and check out books for a short period of time.
Current library holdings:
- Astin, A. W. (1993). Assessment for excellence: The philosophy and practice of assessment and evaluation in higher education. New York: American Council on Education/Macmillan.
- Banta, T. W. & Associates. (1993). Making a difference: Outcomes of a decade of assessment in higher education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Erwin, T. D. (1991). Assessing student learning and development: A guide to the principles, goals, and methods of determining college outcomes. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Polomba, C. & Banta, T. W. (1999). Assessment essentials. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Allen, M. J. (2004). Assessing academic programs in higher education. Bolton, MA: Anker Publishing.
- Angelo, T. & Cross, P. (1993). Classroom assessment techniques. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Huba, M. & Freed, J. (1999). Learner centered assessment on college campuses. New York: Allyn and Bacon/Longman.
- Maki, P. L. (2004). Assessing for learning: Building a sustainable commitment across the institution. Sterling, VA: Stylus.
- Nichols, J. O. & Nichols, K. W (2000). The departmental guide and record book for student outcomes assessment and institutional effectiveness. Edison, NJ: Agathon.
- Nichols, J. O. & Nichols, K. W. (2005). A road map for improvement of student learning and support services through assessment. Flemington, N. J.: Agathon.
- Nichols, J. O. (1995). A practitioner's handbook for institutional effectiveness and student outcomes assessment implementation. New York: Agathon Press.
- Stevens, D. D. & Levi, A. J. (2004). Introduction to rubrics: An assessment tool to save grading time, Convey effective feedback and promote student learning. Sterling, VA: Stylus.
- Suskie, L. (2009). Assessing student learning: A common sense guide (2nd ed.). Bolton, MA: Anker Publishing.
- Walvoord, B. (2004). Assessment clear and simple. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Banta, T. W. & Associates. (1993). Hallmarks of effective outcomes assessment : Assessment update collections. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Banta, T.W. (2000). Assessment update: progress, trends, and practices in higher education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Michelson, E. & Mandell, A. (2004). Portfolio development and the assessment of prior learning: Perspectives, models, and practices. Sterling, VA: Stylus.
- Palomba, C. A. & Banta, T. W. (2001). Assessing student competence in accredited disciplines. Sterling, VA: Stylus.
- Walvoord, B. & Anderson, V. (1998). Effective grading: A tool for learning and assessment. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA.
- White, E. M. (1994). Teaching and assessing writing: Recent advances in understanding, evaluating, and improving student performance (2nd ed.). Portland, Maine: Calendar Islands.
- Converse, J., & Presser, S. (1986). Survey questions: Handcrafting the standardized questionnaire, Sage Series No 63, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Dillman, D. A. (2007). Mail and Internet surveys: The tailored design method (2nd ed., 2007 update). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Groves, R. M., F. J. Fowler, M. P. Couper, J. M. Lepkowski, E. Singer, & R. Tourangeau (2004). Survey methodology (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons.
Need help with assessment? Contact Leah Adams-Curtis, director of assessment.