In keeping with the mission of Knox College, the faculty of the College affirmed goals for a Knox education in 2012. The aspirations for Knox graduates reflect the college commitment to the individual, their communities, and their roles and responsibilies in a global society. The 10 learning goals reflect the outcomes we expect for our graduates that will enable them to achieve the aspirations.
Aspirations for Knox Graduates
Knox graduates will:
- Live personal and professional lives characterized by integrity, intellectual curiosity, creativity, imagination, thoughtful reflection and critical thinking.
- Engage effectively with the challenges and opportunities of the wider world in order to contribute to the lives of others, whether locally, nationally, or globally.
- Live their lives with competence, confidence and a sense of proportion.
Learning Goals for a Knox Education
In order that graduates are able to achieve the above aspirations, Knox students will be able to:
- Engage with the central questions and methods used within the broad areas of liberal arts learning: arts, humanities, social sciences, science.
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of at least one academic field.
- Use technology appropriate to the major field.
- Locate, assess and synthesize a wide range of sources of information.
- Reason quantitatively.
- Communicate effectively through writing and speaking.
- Read, speak, and/or write in a second language.
- Engage intellectually and empathetically with cultural and social diversity.
- Recognize and engage with ethical issues.
- Initiate and carry out independent, self-directed learning.
Goals for Foundations reflect the specific expectations for GKE-1: Knox graduates will be able to engage with the central questions and methods used within the broad areas of liberal arts learning: arts, humanities, social sciences, science.
Departmental and program goals reflect the outcomes for graduates within the program/department.
Links between Departmental and Program Goals and Goals for a Knox General Education show the relationships between department/program goals and Knox Goals.