Umbrellas on the Gizmo Patio #

Offices & Services > Academic Affairs > Faculty Handbook > V. Support Services and Miscellany

B. Business and Budget Matters

Visit Knox
The Court House Tower.

Support Services and Miscellany

V. B. 1. Faculty Offices and Keys

Offices are assigned by the Associate Dean of the College. Keys may be obtained from the Office of Campus Safety. Keys are the personal responsibility of the person to whom issued and should not be loaned or given to others. Keys may not be duplicated under any circumstances.

V. B. 2. Secretarial Services

During the academic year, professional secretaries to serve the Faculty are available in each main academic building. Most departments have student secretaries to help with various chores. The department chair is responsible for supervision of student employees. All student employees are hired through the Business Office with preference given to those who have campus employment as part of their financial aid package.

V. B. 3. Textbook Orders

Textbooks must be ordered by the Bookstore well in advance of the start of each term. The requests that the Bookstore Manager sends to faculty members should be completely answered and promptly returned. Faculty who wish desk or examination copies should write directly to the publisher. Publishers' policies on such copies vary and are subject to change.

Special orders for individual books may be placed through the Bookstore.

V. B. 4. Budgets, Supplies, and Equipment

The department chair is responsible for the administration of the department budget and should ensure spending within budget. All purchase requisitions, travel vouchers, or other major charges against the account must have the department chair's approval. Each chair may determine the most suitable system for allocation of funds within the department and control of expenditures.

All purchases to be billed to Knox College are purchased by means of a purchase requisition. Office supplies are available at the Administrative Services Annex and at the Bookstore; bluebooks for examinations are at the Annex. Faculty wishing to make outof-pocket expenditures for later reimbursement should contact the Business Office to obtain the College's tax ID number. Receipts are required for reimbursement and should be submitted within 30 days of expenditure.

The fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30. The budget cycle for the year usually begins in November with the first round of requests for preliminary budgets for the following year. All department members should keep the chair informed of the needs they foresee in supplies and equipment. When possible the College obtains grant funds or special gifts, particularly for major equipment. The support of faculty members in assessing future needs is an essential part of this process.

V. B. 5. Duplicating and Copyright

Duplicating of materials for class use, e.g., syllabi or examinations, may be charged to department budgets. Duplicating of research material may also be charged to departmental budgets. The department chair is responsible for seeing that the total duplicating costs of the department remain within budget. Faculty should be strongly encouraged to post materials on Moodle to allow for student access.

All duplicating of copyrighted material is controlled by federal law:

A teacher may make a single copy, for use in scholarly research or teaching or in preparation for teaching a class, of the following: A chapter from a book; an article from a periodical or newspaper; a short story, short essay, or short poem, whether or not from a collected work; a chart, graph, diagram, drawing, cartoon, or picture from a book, periodical, or newspaper.

A teacher may make multiple copies for classroom use only, and not to exceed one per student in a class, of the following: a complete poem, if it is less than 250 words and printed on not more than two pages; an excerpt from a longer poem, if it is less than 250 words; a complete article, story, or essay, if it is less than 2,500 words; an excerpt from a prose work, if it is less than 1,000 words or 10 percent of the work, whichever is less; one chart, graph, diagram, drawing, cartoon, or picture per book or periodical.

A teacher may not make any of the following: multiple copies of a work for classroom use if it has already been copied for another class in the same institution; multiple copies of a short poem, article, story, or essay from the same author more than once in a class term, or multiple copies from the same collective work or periodical issue more than three times a term; multiple copies of works more than nine times in the same term; a copy of works to take the place of an anthology; a copy of "consumable" materials, such as workbooks.

Copyright laws also apply to computer software. Any questions regarding the duplication of software should be directed to the Director of Information Technology Services.

V. B. 6. Telephone Calls

Long distance phone calls are charged to individual faculty members' accounts or to department budgets. The College has a Voice-Mail service for all campus extensions.

For information and set-up procedures for this automatic answering feature contact the Telecommunications Office.

V. B. 7. College-Furnished Vehicles

Travel to be charged to a department budget should be approved in advance by the department chair, who is responsible for insuring that costs are not incurred in excess of the budgeted funds. Travel to be charged to another budget must be approved in advance by the individual responsible for that budget.

Cars and vans rented by the College are available by reservation for use on College business. The use of these vehicles is charged to departmental or club budgets according to a daily rate. Reservations for the use of a vehicle are made at the Facilities Services Office.

When faculty members use their own automobiles for College business, they may obtain reimbursement for mileage by submitting a travel voucher to the department chair.

V. B. 8. Review of Grant Proposals

Most grant proposals to foundations or public agencies require the endorsing signature of the President or the Dean of the College and for most the College acts as fiscal agent. All proposals should be prepared in sufficient time to permit review by the endorsing officers. The Advancement Office can assist faculty in the preparation of grant proposals.

Grant proposals and accompanying budgets are reviewed by appropriate personnel, which may include the department chair, the Dean of the College, the Vice President of Finance, or the Director of the Vovis Center.

V. B. 9. Mail Service

Faculty mail is delivered to the campus mail room located in the basement of the Student Union. Combination-lock mail boxes are assigned to all faculty and students.

Notices to students to be placed in their boxes should include box numbers.

V. B. 10. Classroom Assignments

Room assignments are made by the Registrar, who should be informed of any special needs for blackboard space, audio-visual facilities, etc., when pre-registration materials are submitted to that office.

Lounge areas in academic buildings or in dormitories, and dining rooms in the Student Union may not be used for regular class sessions.

V. B. 11. College Calendar

The master calendar of official events for the academic year is maintained by the secretary for Campus Life, who coordinates scheduling responsibilities of the various offices and organization of the campus. All public events and important activities of organizations must be scheduled on this calendar. To avoid conflicts, check the calendar.

Flunk Day in spring term can cause scheduling problems. The Union Board chairs put out a request in winter term that they be told in advance of speakers and other events scheduled for spring term. Getting this information to the Union Board chairs can help avoid conflicts between such events and Flunk Day.

V. B. 12. Room Reservations

Rooms in various buildings may be reserved for meetings of campus groups. Contact the secretary for Campus Life to reserve rooms in most buildings. Contact Dining Services for events in Ferris Lounge or any of the dining areas. Contact the Music Department Chair for events in Kresge, and the Theatre Department Chair for events in Harbach. Contact the Athletic Director to schedule events in the Memorial Gymnasium or in the Auxiliary Gymnasium. Contact the Registrar to reserve a classroom during times when classes are scheduled.

For catering of campus events, call Dining Services. Outside caterers may also be used.

Not all floors of campus buildings are accessible to individuals with disabilities. Public events should be scheduled in accessible locations, whether on the first floor of a building or in a building with an elevator (Seymour Union, the Ford Center for the Fine Arts, the Umbeck Science-Math Center).

V. B. 13. Outside Events

Planning for two types of campus events needs to be reviewed in advance by the Outside Events Committee:

  • an event that is sponsored by an organization other than the College, particularly an event that members of the public are expected to attend.
  • an event set up by Knox faculty member or group for which the main audience or participants are people from outside the College (for example, a participatory Arts event for school children or a workshop for high school students).

The Outside Events Committee should be contacted through the Administrative Services office. The OEC, chaired by the Vice President for Finance and Administrative Services, reviews proposals for such events with regard to institutional capacity and potential legal liability.

V. B. 14. Funds for the Entertainment of Students

A modest amount of money is budgeted to help defray the cost of faculty entertainment of students in their homes. The funds are primarily for hosting first-year and sophomore advisees, and for meals at language tables. Because of the cost and because most of the students are not of legal drinking age, these funds may not be used for the purchase of alcoholic beverages. Requests for funds should be made to your Department Chair. Food may be obtained from the Food Service for students on board.

V. B. 15. Bulletin Boards

Bulletin boards in classrooms are for posting materials relating to classes taught in the room. Other bulletin boards in academic areas are for notices related to academic-related activities, including departmental clubs, speakers, graduate fellowships, music recitals, etc. All other material, especially private advertisements for commercial services, should not be posted, and if posted should be removed.

Walls, doors, windows, etc., should not be used as bulletin boards.

V. B. 16. Smoking

The comfort, health, and safety of the Knox community require that restrictions be placed on smoking. No smoking is allowed in College buildings except in private residence hall rooms.

V. B. 17. Alcoholic Beverages

In Illinois a person must be at least 21 years of age to purchase, possess, or consume alcoholic beverages. It is unlawful to give or sell alcoholic beverages to underage persons.

V. B. 18. Parking

Parking is available on campus.

The City of Galesburg charges a "wheel tax" on vehicles kept in the city. Parking stickers should be obtained from City Hall before September 1 of each year.

Knox College

Printed on Sunday, October 23, 2016

Back to