Stamped or metered letters or campus mail may be dropped at any time in the appropriate slot at the end of the Mailroom corridor. Mail is taken from Knox to the Galesburg Post Office at 2:30 p.m. weekdays.
First-Class: All correspondence is required to go first-class or expedited mail. First class mail can be certified with or without a return receipt.
Standard Mail: Any mail that is not required to be mailed first-class can be mailed standard mail. Standard mail may cost less than priority mail, but needs a longer delivery time.
United States Postal Service
Express Mail: Overnight or two day depending on destination. An expedited service that is guaranteed. Only the USPS can deliver to post office boxes.
Priority Mail : Two or three days to major markets. An expedited service that can be faster than first class, but has no service guarantee. Only the USPS can deliver to post office boxes.
United Parcel Service
Next-Day and Second-Day air are available, as is ground service. Air services are guaranteed. Saturday delivery on overnight items sent on Friday is available for an additional charge. All UPS packages are insured for $100. Additional insurance is available at a nominal cost. All UPS packages must include a Knox College return address. UPS cannot deliver to post office box numbers.
Overnight and two day service only. Service is guaranteed. Saturday delivery on overnight items sent on Fridays is available for an additional charge. FedEx cannot deliver to post office box numbers.
|Which is the best way to overnight an item?
There is no single best way. One service may be better than the others depending on the circumstances, such as in these examples:
- Going to a post office box? U.S. Express Mail is the only option.
- Document over 30 pages but will still fit in the cardboard letter envelope? UPS Next-Day Air should be the choice. Both Express Mail and FedEx have a weight limit of 8 ounces (approximately 30 pages).
- Got a FedEx account number? If so, your choice would clearly be FedEx!
The class of mail is determined by the contents.
- International Express: Sent expedited to the destination country and given to that country's postal service. No service guarantee for delivery time; however, a two or three day delivery time is standard. Service is available to most countries.
- Global Priority: Generally much faster than letter rate. Not a guaranteed service nor is this service available to all countries.
- Letter Rate: Relatively inexpensive way to mail letters, small packages less than four pounds and postcards. Air mail only.
- Parcel Post: For larger parcels (more than four pounds). Weight limits vary, depending on destination. Rates for books and printed matter are also available.
The most common reason mail does not reach its destination is an error in the address. Always make sure that the address is complete, with:
- Apartment numbers, street direction (i.e. East, West, etc.) whenever applicable
- Street designation (i.e. Street, Avenue, Drive, etc.) whenever applicable
- For international mail, always place the name of the country (in English) as the last line of the address
- Always include your return address in the top left corner of the letter or package.
Use this form for your address at Knox College:
Knox College Box 1234
2 E. South St
Galesburg, IL 61401-4999