World of Food, Fun at International Fair
33rd Year for International Entertainment, Buffet
January 14, 2014
Knox College students from more than 50 countries will showcase food, culture and entertainment from around the world at the 33rd annual International Fair, Saturday, January 25, 2014 on the Knox campus in Galesburg, Illinois.
Highlights of the Fair will include:
--International Student Talent Show and Parade of Flags: 1:00 p.m.-4 p.m. in Kresge Hall, Ford Center for the Fine Arts. Admission is free.
--International Buffet and Cultural Booths: 5 p.m.-7 p.m. in the Oak Room, Seymour Union. Foods from a dozen countries and cultures, prepared and served by students; educational exhibits by Knox College student organizations. Tickets are $6 per person at the door.
With 11% of its student body from outside the U.S., Knox has been ranked among top 25 liberal arts colleges for international diversity and among the top 50 for ethnic diversity.
International Fair is sponsored by the Knox College International Club, one of the College's largest student organizations.
The theme of this year's fair is "Streets," expressed in a 28-page booklet published for the fair by the International Club and featuring photography by Knox students. "Often we forget how much of our culture is out in the streets -- the interactions between food, languages, people, animals, arts, identity and sports," explain club co-presidents Aheeka Misra and Armor Wisler.
International Fair 2014 - Buffet Menu:
- India: Mango Lassi (Yogurt Drink); Pani Puri (Fried Bread & Mint Water); Pav Bhaji (Bread and Vegetables with Sweet Chutney)
- Caribbean and Southern U.S.: Curried Shrimp, Jerk Chicken Kabobs, Macaroni & Cheese
- Myanmar: Burmese Chicken
- Malaysia: Cucur Udang (Prawn Fritters)
- Sri Lanka: Marie Biscuit Pudding
- China: 煎饼果子 (Breakfast Crepes); 炸豆腐块 (Fried Tofu); 羊肉串 (Lamb Kebab)
- France: Sandwich au jambon et fromage (Ham & Cheese Sandwich on Baguette); Tart au chocolate (Chocolate Tart)
- Germany: Bierbratwurst (Brats in Beer & Onions); Bratkartoffel (Roasted Potatoes with Bacon)
- West Africa: Jollof Rice (Chicken & Rice Stew)
- Ghana: Kelewele (Fried Plantains)
- Nigeria: Suya (Grilled beef skewers with peanuts)
- Japan: Oyako-don (Parent & Child Rice Bowl); 豬肉味噌湯～深夜食堂 (Pork Miso Vegetable Soup)
- Korea: Bulgogi (Soy Marinated Grilled Beef); Kimchi-Jeon (Vegetable Pancake); Sujeonggwa (Persimmon Punch)
- Mexico: Agua de Tamarindo (Tamarind Water); Champurrado (Hot Chocolate); Buñuelos (Fried Dough Balls); Chicken & Cheese Tamales
- Venezuela: Arepas (Cornmeal patties)
- South America: Arroz con leche (Rice Pudding)
I Fair 2013, below. Full-screen and captions available in a set at the Knox College Flickr channel
Photos from 2012, and a retrospective from 1985 - 2011, available at the International Fair collection on the Knox College Flickr channel