Prairie Fire, Window Paint, Students Celebrate Homecoming 2013!
October 22, 2013
Students decorated residence halls, and sometimes each other, as they celebrated Homecoming 2013 with festivities that included window painting, sports events, and a bonfire that consumed scrap wood and back issues of the campus newspaper -- no criticism implied!
Kathleen Drake, assistant director of campus life, summarized the week's festivities:
- Team Sharkbait triumphed in Dodgeball, winning some Jimmy John's food!
- For the first time in years, Mother Nature was dry and less windy for the bonfire. We even got serenaded by some members of the Knox Choir with the fight song and the Knox Hymn!
- Women of Influence and Homecoming teamed up for Breast Cancer Awareness Month and made tie-dye T-shirts. WOI will be putting out more information about additional sales of the completed pink and purple shirts.
- Students got to watch, listen and ask questions of Eliaichi Kimaro, a mixed-race, first-generation American filmmaker. Eliaichi spoke about her documentary and was able to talk to students about her experiences.
- The Trivia competition was intense, but Sarah Kobernat triumphed winning a "night out package."
- Window Painting contest winners are Simonds 3 -- they won some gift cards to Pizza Hut. They are the first group of upperclass students to win since we started the contest four years ago. Elder 4 was second. Congratulations!