Earth Month 2013 Events at Knox College
Workshops, lectures, community service, entertainment, Galesburg Earth Day Festival
March 28, 2013
Knox College will celebrate Earth Month 2013 with a series of events in April. Activities will include workshops, lectures, community service and entertainment, culminating in the first-ever community-wide event, Galesburg Earth Day Festival, on April 27. Updates on campus events throughout the month will be posted at www.knox.edu/earthmonth2013.
"Knox defines 'earth' to include more than environmental concerns," said Shawn Tubb, Knox College sustainability coordinator, explaining why the College has broadened the focus from "Earth Day" to a broad range of events in "Earth Month."
"We understand sustainability to encompass social equity, environmental stewardship, and economic vitality," Tubb said. "There are also now more opportunities for students and the community than can fit into one day or even one week."
- Craft Workshop: Make wallets out of old bags, jewelry from hardware; 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, April 2 in Taylor Student Lounge, Seymour Union.
- Five-Minute Skill Share: Short presentations and tips for everyday activities; 4:30 p.m., Friday, April 5 in Taylor Student Lounge, Seymour Union.
- Craft Workshop: Re-using old newspapers and magazines; 4;30 p.m., Tuesday, April 9 in Taylor Student Lounge, Seymour Union.
- Bicycle Workshop: How to ride safely in the city; 6 p.m., Wednesday, April 10 in Knox Bike Shop, Neal House, 543 S. West St., Galesburg.
- Garden Workshop: Grow Your Own Food; Saturday, April 13, 12 p.m.-2 p.m., Mound Farm, 449 West Tompkins St., Galesburg.
- Craft Workshop: Home-made accessories; 4;30 p.m., Tuesday, April 16 in Taylor Student Lounge, Seymour Union.
- Craft Workshop: Reusing old glass objects and glassware; 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, April 23, Taylor Student Lounge, Seymour Union.
- Bicycle Workshop: Basic Repairs, 6 p.m., Wednesday, April 24, Knox Bike Shop, Neal House, 543 S. West St., Galesburg.
- Sustainability Expo; 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Friday, April 19; Sustainable Business Center, 2900 W. Main, Galesburg. Displays by regional businesses and organizations involved in education, conservation, energy, local food production. Call 309-343-1191 for details.
- Spring Cleanup Yard Sale; 7 a.m.-2 p.m., Saturday, April 20; Growing Together Urban Farm, 820 E. Fifth St., Galesburg. Call 309-313-5039 for directions or to arrange for pick-up of items to be donated for the sale.
- Earth Day Celebration; 12 p.m.-2 p.m., Saturday April 20; Discovery Depot Children's Museum, 495 Mulberry Street, Galesburg. Activities for children including how to make sandals from old newspapers, candles from old crayons. Museum admission is $5 per person; free for children under one year. Call 309-344-8876 for details.
- Great American Cleanup; 9 a.m.-12 p.m., Saturday, April 27; Standish Park, Galesburg. Volunteers are welcome to help clean the park and other locations in Galesburg. Held in conjunction with Knox College Day of Service. Call the Sustainability Office at 309-341-7357 for information.
- Galesburg Earth Day Festival; 1 p.m.-6 p.m., Saturday, April 27; Gizmo Patio, Seymour Union. Family activities including face-painting, also student music groups and information tables by local and campus organizations; featured entertainment includes singer-songwriter Ben Sollee performing at 4:30 p.m. In case of rain, all activities will be held in T. Fleming Fieldhouse.
- Lecture: "Civic Leadership," by former state legislator Carl Hawkinson; 7 p.m., Wednesday, April 3, Ferris Lounge, Seymour Union.
- Panel Discussion: "Green Jobs," with Eric Dilts of the Sustainable Business Center in Galesburg, environmental studies professor Peter Schwartzman of Knox College, and sustainability coordinator Shawn Tubb of Knox College; 6:30 p.m., Monday, April 8, Lincoln Room, Seymour Union.
- Conference: "Peace-Building." Keynote address by Jody Olsen, former director of the Peace Corps, 7 p.m., Friday, April 12 in Harbach Theatre, Ford Center for the Fine Arts. Talks and panel discussions about the Peace Corps Preparatory Program at Knox College and other opportunities to engage in peace-building, locally and world-wide, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday, April 13 in Ferris Lounge, Seymour Union.
- Lecture: "Citizenship, Nationality and Immigration," by John Agnew, Distinguished Professor of Geography at the University of California, Los Angeles, 7 p.m., Monday, April 22, Muelder Room, Seymour Library. Sponsored by Phi Beta Kappa.
- Panel Discussion: "Sustainability in the Arts," with Jeff Grace, assistant professor of theatre, and Kathleen Ridlon, assistant professor of dance; 4 p.m., Tuesday, April 23, Round Room, Ford Center for the Fine Arts.
- We Are Not Ghosts; 7 p.m., Thursday, April 4 in Taylor Student Lounge, Seymour Union.
- A Fierce Green Fire; 7 p.m., Thursday, April 11 in Taylor Student Lounge, Seymour Union.
- Switch; 7 p.m., Wednesday, April 17 in Kresge Hall, Ford Center for the Fine Arts.
- Revenge of the Electric Car; 7 p.m., Thursday, April 18 in Taylor Student Lounge, Seymour Union.
- Your Environmental Road Trip; 7 p.m., Thursday, April 25 in Taylor Student Lounge, Seymour Union.
Below, a visual history of Earth Day activities at Knox College