Research Policies for the Special Collections and Archives
The Knox College Special Collections & Archives department has policies and procedures for anyone conducting research. Fees for services are listed below.
- All readers and visitors must register at the reception desk in the Archives.
- Special Collections and Archives material may not be removed from the Reading Room.
- Only pencil and paper are permitted. All notebooks, briefcases, purses, knapsacks will be placed in readers' compartments provided.
- Some materials may need to be paged and may not be immediately available.
- Materials should be returned to the reception desk for shelving by the staff.
- Not all materials can be photocopied, but all photocopying is done by Archives staff. See below for current fees. Copies may not be immediately available but can be called for or mailed directly.
- Publication of photocopied material or use of quotations or images from original archival material requires separate written permission and use of approved credit line. Please consult with the Archivist.
- The patron assumes full responsibility for conforming with laws of privacy, copyright and literary property rights which may be involved with use of materials from this collection.
Duplication & Research Fees
- Black & White - $.25 per page
- Color - $.50 per page
- $2.00 per scan for most images
- Oversize originals (larger than 8 1/2" x 11") - $5.00 per item
- Burning data to CD - $3.00 per disc
- Burning data to DVD - $5.00 per disc
- Shipping & Handling - $5.00 per package (might be more if package is large)
- Patrons may contract independently with recommended student employees for research or copying beyond the routine inquiry. The suggested rate is $10.00 an hour, although the students work directly with the patron and may negotiate their own rate.
The Special Collections and Archives is located in Seymour Library on the second floor and is open during academic terms:
- Monday through Friday: 9am - 12pm; 1pm - 4:30pm
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Hours vary during the summer and at other times during the year when the college is not in session. It is always best to call ahead for hours and research assistance.