What makes Catch different?
- An undergraduate focus. While many schools have literary magazines, Catch is one of the few college publications that focuses solely on the work of undergraduate students. Catch has won AWP awards against other publications that feature the work of graduate students and professors.
- Students in charge. Catch is entirely student-run, from the head editors to the proofreaders. All content, including layout and design, is original undergraduate student work.
- Innovative ideas. Students design a new print and online layout for each issue of Catch.
- We aren't going anywhere. While Knox's literary journal was not always called Catch (the name of the magazine was changed in 1969), Knox has published a student-run literary journal for more than 100 years, making Catch the oldest continuously published literary journal in the country.
View Catch's online content.
Honors and awards
In the past eight years, Catch has won four top national and international awards, and six top national awards in the past 25 years. A few include:
- 2014 National Program Directors' Prize from the Association of Writers and Writing Programs (fall 2013 issue)
- International Pacemaker Award from the Associated College Press, one of the highest honors in the field of student journalism (2008, 2005, and 2003)
- Associated College Press Magazine Pacemaker Finalists (fall issues from 2004 and 2005)
- National Collegiate Championship Literary Magazine Director's Prize, an honor from the Association of Writers and Writing Programs (2003)
- Association of Writers and Writing Programs national honors (spring 2002)
- Associated College Press Magazine Pacemaker Award (fall 2002)
While the journal is always open to new ideas for submissions, the commonly accepted categories of work include:
- Visual art
- Music/musical scores
- Theatrical design
The submission drive constantly encourages different types of content, including anything from mathematical proofs to photography to sculpture. Flipping through any issue of Catch, there is always a plentiful variety of mediums of student art. Learn more about submitting your work.