2010 Knox Service Award Winners
The Knox Service Award, established in 1987, is given to any member of the Knox community to recognize outstanding volunteer service benefiting Knox College. Awards are presented during Homecoming Convocation. Annual nominations are due by January 31.
2010 Service Award Winners
Bernard McCune '88
DeVone Eurales, senior assistant director of Admission, describes Bernard McCune as a "positive force." Not entirely in jest, he says that everyone in the Chicago Public School system knows that Bernard McCune graduated from Knox College. Bernard is deputy in the Office of College and Career Preparation for Chicago Public Schools. Formerly, he was the manager of GEAR-UP, a federally-funded program that provides mentoring, tutoring, and other support to low-income students to help them prepare for college. In this professional role, Bernard serves Knox well, never failing to let his audiences know where he attended college.
- For the past two decades, Bernard has been the spoke in the hub for Knox College black alumni in the Chicago area, organizing formal and informal events and gatherings like the Black Alumni Association of Knox College Summer Picnic.
- As an Admission volunteer, Bernard attends college fairs and applicant receptions. In addition, he is present during Chicago area interview sessions to mix and mingle with students.
- Bernard continues to support current students and ABLE, making trips to campus for events with current students or alumni.
- Bernard has served as the Black Alumni Association of Knox College representative on the Alumni Council for more than 10 years and, this past year, served as a round table discussion leader at the Chicago Knox Club Career Networking Event.
- He serves his community as a board member for The Illinois College Access Network, Near North Health Services, Near North Development Corporation, and Project Education Plus.
- He is also a mentor for boys age 6-18 at Trinity United Church of Christ.
Mike '58 and Patricia Craig Ruffolo '58
Mike and Patricia Craig Ruffolo have served Knox in many capacities -- as event hosts, admission volunteers, class agents, and Reunion chairs. As expressed in a recent "Watering Our Roots" section of Knox Magazine featuring the Ruffolo's, they continue to give to Knox and feel that Knox continues to give back to them. Staying in contact with old friends and making new friends with younger alumni is a great reward.
- Throughout the years, Mike and Pat have served as leaders for the Golden Gate Knox Club, coordinating many events, hosting gatherings at their home in the past, and most recently, organizing a successful event at a local winery and tour of the Academy of Science.
- Mike and Pat are generous star donors who have come back to Reunions every five years. In 2008 they co-chaired their 50th Reunion with Mary Peterson Potter. The Class of 1958 raised a record breaking $571,125 -- the largest 50th Reunion campaign gift to date.
- Their love for Knox has prompted the Ruffolos to recommend numerous students to Knox, including their son, Craig, a 1992 Knox graduate, who once said, "What is it about Knox people? They don't really know each other, but they all act like old friends or relatives!"
- The Ruffolos have been active in the local community as well. Mike is proud to have helped found the Piedmont Baseball Foundation and was on the steering committee for the Field Space Expansion.
- Mike served on the Swim Club Board and coached many youth teams.
- Pat served on parent boards for the schools, the Piedmont Swim Team, and her women's golf group.
- She has also given her time to tutoring programs in the Piedmont and Oakland schools.
John Sauter '63
John Sauter has attended Homecoming every year since 1988. John is one of Knox's greatest advocates and volunteers. It is rare to see him when he isn't wearing a Knox College sweatshirt, t-shirt, or polo. He is passionate about serving his alma mater, and it shows in the way he represents the College.
- John has served as club leader for the Washington D.C. Knox Club for more than 15 years. He is always conscientious about planning a variety of events to appeal to the diverse interests of D.C. area alumni. John shows up early to help with last-minute details and is a master at working the crowd.
- His efforts as chair of the Class of 1963 40th Reunion Giving Campaign resulted in 62 percent class giving and contributions of more than $150,000. In addition, he has served as class agent, as a member of the Knox Fund Steering Committee, and a Reunion volunteer for the Class of 1963's 25th Reunion.
- John represented Knox as a delegate for the Goucher College inauguration.
- As a current at-large member of the Alumni Council, John has made many phone calls, reaching out to alumni who may not feel connected to Knox.
- He gives generously to Knox each year and is a proud member of the President's Circle.
- John's volunteerism extends to his local community as chair of the Citizen's Advisory Committee and as coordinator for the Neighborhood Watch.
Previous Award Winners
2009 (Read the citations)
Jean Anderson '87, Letitia Luther Schactner '58, Brett Tilly '95
2008 (Read the citations)
Phyllis Holowaty Albrecht '56, George B. Eaton '80, and Carolyn Swartz Park '55
2007 (Read the citations)
Nancy Cane Beelman '58, Lynn E. Salier '56, Dorothy Thomas Wharton '55
2006 (Read the citations)
Jack E. Larson '44, Steven P. Luetger '75, Leland Wilson, Air Cadet
2005 (Read the citations)
J. William McVey '66, Ann Feldman Perille '76, Jerome A. Tatar '71
2004 (Read the citations)
Charles J. Gibbs '50, Bradley R. Milton '78, Robert R. '58 and Louise Bost Wolf '59
2003 (Read the citations)
Laurence S. Chadwick '53, Vernice Mendrek, Michiko Tanaka '57
Charles Boydstun '44, Joan Felter Hotchkiss '50, James Valentine '61
Debra P. Banks '73, R. Ned Landon '43, William N. Monson '57
James R. Bowman '48 William J. Foley '38 James T. Poor '54
Bradley Burnside '45, Robert & Daniele Devillairs and Angele Parmeggiani, Russell E. Swise '42
Carol Baldwin, Robert K. Burden '55, Homer H. Johnson '57
William L. Flodin '55, Edward F. Novak '69, Steven J. Phillips '71
Merle Glick '46, Marjorie L. Gustafson '42, Irene Bowman Landis '36
Ann Asplund, Kenneth Alan Buck '79, Robert Wallace '58, Ralph C. Walter III '69
Thomas L. Anderson '66, Evan T. Jones '72, Charlotte M. Sommer '72
David Robinson '38, Janet Koran '71, C. Max Stubbs '40
George Hook '60, John Heyer '68, Al Young '69
Evelyn Clay L'32, John Straus '73, Margaret Mathews-Berenson '68
James Bjorkman '57, Thomas Clemmer '37, John Hayes '71
Harold Ford '39, James "Bud" Potter '63, Dale Runyon '51
John Baily L'29, Charles Bednar '29, Mary Burgland '68
Gail C. Youngren L'27