Mark and Jeannette Kleine Center for Community ServiceKnox has a long and treasured history of community involvement. When the College was founded in 1837, students split their time between working in the fields and working in the classrooms.
Through an emphasis on hands-on experiential learning and a goal of making every student a responsible steward of the environment and a responsible citizen, we are always looking to the broader world beyond our campus.
The Mark and Jeannette Kleine Center for Community Service opened in 2006 through a grant from the Ellen Browning Scripps Foundation. During its first year, students donated more than 7,000 hours of volunteer service, while faculty and staff have worked in partnership with more than 60 local organizations. The Center:
- Coordinates volunteer social activities by students, clubs, and organizations
- Works with academic departments to implement experiential learning components of classwork
- Works with the Gale Scholars and TRIO programs