Requirements for the Major/Minor
Requirements for the major
11 credits as follows:
- PHYS 110, PHYS 130 or PHYS 130A, PHYS 205, PHYS 241
- Five additional credits numbered above 200, including at least two of: PHYS 310, PHYS 312, PHYS 313, PHYS 314. PHYS 340 may not be used to satisfy this requirement.
- Mathematics: MATH 205, and one of MATH 210, 215, 230 or PHYS 300. PHYS 300 may not be used additionally as one of the five elective credits.
With permission of the chair, up to 2 credits in related studies outside the department may be counted toward electives in the major.
The sequence PHYS 110, PHYS 120, PHYS 130 or PHYS 130A includes laboratories and satisfies the general physics requirement stipulated by medical and dental schools. PHYS 110, PHYS 120, PHYS 130 are the minimum needed for the 3-2 engineering program; PHYS 205 is also recommended.
Requirements for the minor
5 credits as follows:
- PHYS 110
- PHYS 130 or 130A
- PHYS 205
- Two additional credits in Physics, one of which must be at the 300-level or above, and both of which must be approved by the Chair of the department
For medical and dental schools, the sequence PHYS 110, 120, and 130 or 130A includes laboratories and satisfies the general physics requirement. For the 3-2 engineering program, PHYS 110, 120 and 130 are the minimum needed; PHYS 205 is also recommended. Students considering graduate study or careers in physics should consider completing the following courses:
- PHYS 110, 120, 130, 205, and 241
- PHYS 310, 312, 313, 314 and at least two seminar courses (345, 346, 347)
- MATH 205, 210, and 230
- CS 147 (or 141) and 142
- CHEM 101 and 102
As research experience is especially valuable in graduate school applications, grad-school bound students are encouraged to participate in a research project while at Knox.