Supporting Success in Film Studies
Knox College regularly brings filmmakers and scholars to campus for lectures and screenings. Our guests often spend time with students in both formal and informal gatherings. Recent visitors include:
- Ernesto Ardito - Argentine documentary film director.
- Nicholas Bruckman - director of La americana.
- Robert Buchar - professor of film production at Columbia College.
- John de Graaf - producer of Affluenza.
- Susan Dever - chair of media studies at UNM, Albuquerque.
- Jan Huttner - Chicago film critic and founder of "Women in the Audience..."
- Sherwood Kiraly - screenwriter, novelist, and adaptor.
- Motti Lerner - screenwriter and playwright at Tel Aviv University.
- James W. Okeefe - director and professor of cinematography at USC.
- Michael Renov - professor of film theory at USC.
- Astra Taylor - documentary filmmaker and director of Zizek!
- Yevgeny Yevtushenko - Russian dramatist, director, screenwriter, and actor.
Moreover, Galesburg is home to the annual Black Earth Film Festival, which screens independent films from around the world. Black Earth is presented every Fall and seeks to present the best in independent feature, documentary, short and animated films to the community. Directors are often available for discussion after screenings. You can learn more about the festival at the Black Earth Film Festival website.
Finally, Knox's Seymour Library has an enviable collection of nearly 3500 films. This collection includes feature films, historical films and shorts, television serials, educational films, foreign films (especially Spanish, French, German, and Russian), animated films, and documentaries.