Enhance Your Education
Distinctive Programs in Biochemistry
Knox College is a national leader in involving students in advanced undergraduate research. Opportunities for students in biochemistry include:
- Independent Study courses
- Individual and team-based projects
- Collaboration with faculty, co-authoring of journal articles
- Ford Research Fellows Program
- Hughes Research Fellowships in the Natural Sciences
- College Honors (advanced research and thesis, oral defense with outside examiner)
- Merck/AAAS Undergraduate Science Research Program
- National Conference on Undergraduate Research
- State, regional and national conferences in specific disciplines
Recent College Honors
- "Alpha-Hydroxy Phosphonic Acids via Lesquerella Oil," John Salvatore Cusimano '13.
- "Using Chemical Denaturants to Investigate the Stability and Folding/Unfolding Pathway for the Tetrameric GrpE1-112 Protein," Shirley Marie Dehn, '11.
- "Investigation of the Unfolding/Folding Process of the GrpE1-112 Tetrameric Deletion Mutant Protein," Kelby Mitchell Okada, '09.
- "Characterization of the Effects of Acute Ethanol Exposure on Signaling Pathways in Response to LPS Stimulus in RAW 264.7 Cells," Michele Christine Darrow, '09.
- "Using the GrpE Protein from E. coli. to Investigate Alpha Helix Length Requirements for Four-Helix Bundle Formation," Nalin U.G. '07.
- "Microscopic and Genetic Identification and Characterization of Centrin in Phascolosoma agassizii (phylum Sipuncula)," Rebecca Blackburn, '06.
- "Probing Four-Helix Bundle Stability in the GrpE Protien via Internal Deletion Mutants," Tilemahos Spyratos, '06.
- "'Hypothermia Differentially Regulates LPS Induced Genes in RAW 264.7 Cells': The Role of MAP Kinases in iNOS and COX-2 Regulation," Ayush Giri, '06.
Off-Campus Programs and Internships
Knox actively encourages students in all disciplines to apply for off-campus study and internships. For students interested in biochemistry, these have included:
- University of Aberdeen exchange program
- Barcelona program
- Besançon program
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Denmark's International Study Program
- Argonne National Laboratories: All sciences; recent projects include nuclear chemistry, superconductivity and energy resources
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory: Natural and social sciences, specializing in interdisciplinary work in biology, chemistry, mathematics and physics, as well as economics, political science and sociology-anthropology
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Northern Regional Research Laboratory
- Illinois Department of Agriculture, Animal Disease Laboratory
Few experiences can prepare you better for life after Knox than conducting an internship. As a Knox biochemistry student, you can conduct an internship for course credit either during the academic year or the summer, working closely with a faculty supervisor while engaging in fieldwork and completing an academic paper. Recent internships by biochemistry students include:
- Summer Medical Missions trip, Cameroon, Africa. Sarah Johnson, '07, biochemistry major.
- Intern, Microbiology & Molecular Genetics Dept, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan. Cameron Lilly, '06, biochemistry major.
- Internship with Dr. Bonnie Williams, Galesburg, Illinois. Lei Zhang, '06, biochemistry major.
- Intern, Burgland Drugs, Galesburg, Illinois. Claire Matekaitis, '05, biochemistry and chemistry major.
- Sales Intern, Tropical Isle, Galesburg, Illinois. Andria Widaman, '05, chemistry and biochemistry major.